Genetic Banking via TC

Anyone know of someone offering genetic banking yet?

Looking to store some genetics to have a pipeline for moms and also for safeguarding!

I feel like this is an amazing business opportunity for someone to do.

I’ve chatted with some groups with plans to do this with a license however that limits the genetics from moving outside the licensed systems and individual states.

3 Likes

TC as a business model is tough. It’s sort of like Christmas lights: one light goes out, they all go out. One contaminant can cause he’ll down the line.

All the more respect to those who do it. Hopefully someone has a POC.

1 Like

are you the group offering this opportunity? sounds like a marketer to me/ Im interested in it to preserve my own cuts but its not a storage bank

I’d be concerned about another

These guys took a ton of plants/seeds and then secretly planned to release their own after harvesting all the data. Maybe I’m mixing up parties.

3 Likes

Yup
I’m not about to trust some random with 45+ strain in my garden to hold and bot use personally.

2 Likes

We do it everyday with human stem cells.
I pay for my doughters cord to be stored, and will do so for years to come.
There’s a lot more at stake in this scenario vs TC.

4 Likes

that could be a concern. I already keep a culture library. Mycological albeit. wouldn’t take too much for me to pivot to allow plant tc.

might be possible to set it up similar to a seed bank and have breeders get a kick back off of synthetic seed sales of their banked strains. from my understanding there would be little to no pheno variance in the seeds. and no drift of pheno of the parent culture, unlike keeping mother plants. could be benefit for end users and breeders too.

2 Likes

That’s what I’m interested in finding. Someone that is offering the ability to do this for outside parties.

I’m not a marketer, at least not of TC services. :joy:

I am definitely interested in learning more about TC as it seems like a lot of the equipment can be used for other things that I’m interested in however more interested in finding someone providing the services in the short term of being able to do something like say, provide me a new mom every 6 months of a banked cultivar.

1 Like

I agree. There are a lot of people advertising their expertise in this or their ability to teach this to people via classes online or in person.

As far as the light out analogy, I think that there are some basic ways on creating redundancy via back-up power for lighting and refrigeration pretty easily. I didn’t think about contamination being the potential issue.

1 Like

I’m working on it. BUT,

Can keep things indefinitely, however, most people aren’t willing to pay what is required or have the trust to hand over their genetics.

When people can clone their own for pennies on the dollar they balk at the price of “just keeping clones for me” and also there is no law in the cannabis space so contracts aren’t worth the paper they are printed on. Would love to be able to run with the idea but I just don’t see the market for it currently.

As another user posted, if one thing gets contaminated it can ruin an entire lab so you have to have multiple fail safes in place. That drives up the price and complexity of the project if you are trying to do it right.

3 Likes

I agree with this. We have a monthly maintenance fee for our cannabis contracts. If a customer truly wants to just bank genetics and not purchase returns then it runs around $200 per month per variety.

3 Likes

Do you have any minimums? That’s a pretty good deal for someone with good genetics looking for a backup plan. Also, does that include exclusivity (I.e you can’t do anything with those genetics, etc…)?

2 Likes

No minimums and yes exclusivity.

2 Likes

Do you use tc, or keep in veg?

2 Likes

A lot of our stock plants are rejuvenated once a quarter with clean TC plants. We then hold those mother’s in veg for liner production.

4 Likes