Gasket material selection

Trying to simplify our dewaxing process for crude in etoh. Have been using a basic buchner/vac setup. ULT freezer in the lab has a port on the side, presumably for sample temp monitors. I’m planning on running a stainless line through that port so I can deliver nitrogen to a TC filter setup.

So far, the plan for the filtration apparatus is: 6"TC lid w/ 2x1/4FNPT for nitrogen inlet & gauge->6x18spool->6"x2" TC hemispherical reducer/filter plate combo->2"TCxFNPT->MNPTxcompression->SS tube->MNPTxcompression->6"TC lid w/ 2x1/4FNPT for filtrate inlet & PRV->6x18 spool.

Since we’ve been filtering in a buchner, I’ve been running the ULT at -80C, and chilling the buchner and solution in the freezer to try to minimize the amount of fats/waxes/insolubles that will redissolve and make it through the filter during the process.

I’m thinking since the whole process will now be taking place at a controlled temp, I can bring the ULT settings up to -60C or so.

I’ve used PTFE TC gaskets in the past, and have had issues with leaking from shrinkage. I’m trying to find a gasket material that has good etoh resistance and won’t leak at the temps I’m targeting. So far the Tuf Steel gaskets seem like a good bet, and I’m guessing since they’re still primarily PTFE I won’t have any solvent compatibility issues, but wanted to see if anyone had experimented with a similar setup and could give me any pointers, either on the design of the apparatus or on suitable gasket materials.

1 Like

try envelope gaskets. I’d recommend PTFE over Viton.

3 Likes

I’m definitely leaning towards PTFE/something. I have had good results with buna-n at lower temps, but am finding a lot of conflicting information about elasticity and shrinkage for all these materials in low temp ranges

1 Like