Gas sweetening

Hello everyone, I was making this post because I did not want to keep clogging up the California butane sales post. From the information I gathered, you are able to take copper mesh and 13X molecular beads inside of a column which will clean up propane. I finally got my copper in (about 5 lbs worth) . Photon noir stated that copper mesh may be efficient enough alone to clean the gas of the odors . I have a 36" column that can be separated into a 24" and a 12". My question is how tight should the copper be packed and which size should I use as my "distillation head " or “sieve” ( not sure which proper term would be used there . ) ?

2 Likes

First 12" copper scrubies then 24" x13 sieves
The copper can be packed tight

2 Likes

Tyvm @Roguelab, I appreciate it .

Should I put the 13X in a sock or should I just pour them straight into the column?

1 Like

If they’re anything like 3A I’d put them in a sock or put a filter paper at the bottom of the column to stop the dust from going through your system

2 Likes

Is this passing the gas in liquid or vapor state?

1 Like

@Intergalactic it is going through in a vapor state . @Infoseeker tyvm for the tip, I will certainly do that.

Okay makes sense, a falling film would work wonders for this…

3 Likes

filterpaper ,sock doesn’t t really matter if it s for gas sweetening
Use common sense look at the path vapor will travel and think if anything needs protection from dust

1 Like

Was going to use the sock to keep the beads together to remove easier from the column. Are the 13x reusable like when you heat them up to remove the moisture does it remove the smells? Also, is my recovery pump going to retain the smell as long as I use it after the beads ?

Yes they are reusable but heating them can give dangerous situations
I do it in a pizza oven at 200 C sitting outside on the lawn
Most of my sweetening I do passive so
Can t tell but I don t think it should give a problem ifsieves are changed in time

2 Likes

If I were to do it passively What temperature do you recommend me setting my collection pot to? It is jacketed so I can maintain a stable temp . I would let it evap up through the column packed with the copper and then the beads . Then from there would you condense through a coil and allow it to go back Into the collection pot to keep “recirculating”, or into a tank and then repeat?

I evap to a tank
So dirty gas in collection pot at 30C
Treu scrubies treu sieves to catch tank set at -24C once done
Bring catch tank to -5C and vent all other gasses
Mine is clean most of the time

1 Like

If there is still a smell do you just run it through one more time? Will the smell stay in the tank from the previous run or is it in the gas not the tank itself