Full dewax without cooling

The all knowing one lists Sucrose at 345da, and MCT at 408da. Not really all that farfrom thca at 314da

How about “many of the fats/waxes/sugars are above 600da”?

6 Likes

Ill take a couple (edit)325 dalton membranes to fit a 2x12 RO housing :dollar:
:shower:

From duda the ppl who brought us the felt filter rolls. Tell me they arent following this site :laughing:

Still have the best BPHEs too

Edit: wrong thread

Obviously I defer to you in the subject because you’re one of the few that are setting the precedents with all of the membranes!

1 Like

I determined by test that only 10% of what we call “sugars” actually is sugar monomers. The remaining is various oligomers/starches that are much higher in weight. And as far as waxes I don’t think they exist as single particles dissolved in solution (see beakers thread where room temp alcohol couldn’t dissolve waxes). The behavior of dewax membranes is very different in heptane and i believe this is the reason.

8 Likes

…So back to room tempetature filtration

Does anyone have data that proves 100% wax removal is possible with methanol and media filtration?

What’s your definition of 100%? “As much as drops with -80 methanol”?

4 Likes

absolutely. just needed to clarify that things are not quite as simple as they were stated to be.

2 Likes

Indeed, they aren’t. There are a lot of obfuscating factors. The compounds being separated have disperse molecular weights. The pores themselves are disperse. They also are responsive to operating conditions. Furthermore the intermolecular forces and polarity of the compounds also play a role. So to say it’s just size exclusion and that pore ratings can be applied without further analysis is wrong all around.

4 Likes

The answer i gave was a very basic answer for someone who lacks the fundamental knowledge of membrane filtration

What I said wasn’t wrong. It’s just not as complete of an answer as you guys would like

3 Likes

Huh, that’s funny. The first lab I was in was trying to figure a solution for their screw press and tapped out.

Curious if the screw presses use solvent while pressing.

2 Likes

Some do, I personally don’t.

I just use it to remove solvent and/or water prior to extraction if its wet biomass

3 Likes

Does the screwing process cause a noticable heat increase from friction? My fascination with rosin presses peaked on screw presses. Curious to see any products / designs.

1 Like

I was interested in that for a while. I still think it’s workable.

3 Likes

I just imagined an ethanol or Heptane screw press with some automation built in for feeding etc.

Be a real sight to see a fully achieved solution.

2 Likes

It’s been mentioned here a few times under the name HIPLEX or GAME (gas assisted mechanical extraction). If you look at it as a method for reducing solvent demand during a solvent extraction process it makes sense at the 10+ ton per day size I think. That being said, could be one of those things where the additional complexity make a slightly more efficient process worse than a slightly less efficient, simpler system with less “fuckery”

4 Likes

What company is offering that?

1 Like

Crown Iron Works is the one I know of, although @Soxhlet mentioned another company I hadn’t heard of

1 Like