From Crude to CBD Isolate

No but share what you heard
Which state ? Which teck?
Biomass ? Etc etc

Hmm these steps sound like they might work with a decent ethanol shatter to thca crystals. Anything need modification?
“1. Measure material weight
2. Heat material to within 5-10c of solvent (Pentane preferably)(36c)
3. Measure out half the weight of the distillate in solvent (1g pentane : 2g distillate)
4. Heat solvent to within 5c of BP (ideally in glass reactor w/ reflux attachment)
5. Combine distillate and solvent, fully mix (supersaturation)
6. Cool to room temp
7. Cool to 0c (precipitation)
8. When happy with crystallization pour off liquid
9. Use 0c solvent to wash crystals to purity over filter paper
10. Dry in vacuum oven”

2 Likes

Try it with already crashed THCa crystals to create very big crystals. Do temp fluctuations instead of a cold crash

3 Likes

I have heptane on hand so I will give it a go with that, but Ive heard pentane is preferential for xtalization.

It’s much harder to crystalize in Heptane, crystalization in pentane works wonderfully

4 Likes

Heptane is fine to make isolate with. It just takes more time to recover the solvent from the mother liquor and to eradicate the heptane from the finished isolate. It also has lower ppm thresholds for human toxicity levels in most states that I have looked into so you really want to
Make sure you remove all the solvent from the finished product before consumption or sale.

2 Likes

I’ve experienced messier crystal structures compared to pentane, more shit caught in the lattice with Heptane using same conditions as with pentane. Have you experienced this?

No, but i also could be using a different crystallization technique.

1 Like

How do I get in touch with you about your lab design services?

qgaconsulting@gmail.com

How do I get in touch with you regrading your lab design services? Also interested in knowing more about your LLE. Thanks

1 Like

Shoot me a DM and I will give you more information

Do you mean CBD or its acid form?

Reasonable question. Not sure what the OP was suggesting. I was asking if such a statement made sense…

I would think cbda

When extracting with CO2 the biomass is decarboxilated before gooing into the tube !!
Co2 as asolvent works a lot better that way one of the reasons why CO2 is so cumbersum :pensive:

First thing, CBD crystallizes much more readily than CBDa. I’ve
had the best consistent results crystallizing with distilled material testing at least 60% CBD.

1. Measure distillate weight
  2. Heat distillate to within 5-10c of solvent (Pentane preferably)(36c)
  3. Measure out half the weight of the distillate in solvent (1g pentane : 2g distillate)
  4. Heat solvent to within 5c of BP (ideally in glass reactor w/ reflux attachment)
  5. Combine distillate and solvent, fully mix (supersaturation)
  6. Cool to room temp
  7. Cool to 0c (precipitation)
  8. When happy with crystallization pour off liquid
  9. Use 0c solvent to wash crystals to purity over filter paper
  10. Dry in vacuum oven

Quick question,

I’m using a glass reactor, after step 5 do you drain the oil from the reactor or continue to mix while it cools? I assume you remove the distillate from the reactor and then move it to a place to cool but does it need stirred at all during the cool down?

If so what are people using to slowly cool and stir at the same time?

Thanks in advanced

2 Likes

@QGA As the expert in this process could you help clarify this?

Why not just crystallize inside the reactor by running cold PG through the jacket?

2 Likes

The reactor drain is pretty small at about 1” id , I don’t think it will come out once it’s crystalized.

1 Like