Fresh Frozen Dry Ice Extraction - Bad idea?

Hey everyone,

I can’t seem to find alot of guys speaking highly of using FF and dry ice sieving. I’ve seen the ln2 tumblers @BG305 has been playing with, I’m a little smaller scale currently so either bubble bags or 5gal bucket with stainless mesh will be my options.

My end goal is live rosin, I’ve previously done some ice water hash with FF that turned out very tasty, this would be my first attempt with dry ice. The problem with using ice water is that I end up with a mass of water soaked material that doesn’t benefit me much. This method (I hope) will allow me to finish up with an ethanol soak for the remaining content.

SOP:
Remove sticks and fan leaves, place material into freezer bags and into deep freezer (-40 approx).
After 24 hrs in freezer add material to 5 gal bucket with rice sized dry ice pellets, let sit for 15 minutes.
Empty material and dry ice into 73um bag, gently shake over clean plexi until color begins to change.
Move material and dry ice into 160um bag, gently shake over clean plexi.
Dump back into 5 gal bucket, wait until dry ice sublimates.
Dry material in large paper yard bag for a few days
Hash will be collected into various grades and pressed in 37um dabpress rosin bags for final product
Then I will proceed with an ethanol wash to capture the leftover goodies from the green material

Does anyone see any faults going about this way? Anyone processing FF in a similar fashion with good results? (Or more importantly i suppose, terrible results?)

Edit: Added missed steps to SOP. I realize this is a awkward way to go about things, but I’m curious on the possibilities. I’ll probably end up testing this side by side with some ice water hash to compare yield and quality.

Did you ever get a yield from this?

I actually invented the dry ice process and posted it on overgrow back in about '99. I was mocked then and called insane.

I spent a lot of time working in screen print shops which is how I came up with the process initially. A stretched screen performs much better than a loose one. A 180 mesh works well, I have used combinations of 80, 110, 180, 240 with varying results. You can put spacers on the back of the screen and place it on top of a piece of glass. Shaking is problematic and messy. If you happen to have a clam shell screen printing press you modify it to run the squeegie back and forth automatically while you sit on your ass.

I mix crushed DI with material in an insulated stainless steel tank and allow to sit for up to 30 minutes, this dramatically improves yield.

After extraction material is fully dried and another extraction is done with solvent. The results can be cleaned and mixed with kief and act as a binder. The exact mixing process I use is proprietary and as it turns out is the hardest part. The addition of oil seems to be preferred by many clients. It’s also useful if you are working with shit material that won’t compress properly.

For large quantities a cement mixer can be used but you have to make a custom frame for the screen.

Ice water looses most of the terps and makes later solvent extration problematic.

I sort by color into three passes. Yield varies tremendously based on strain, trim condition. Overall I suspect it is higher than water due to the second solvent extraction.

Use glass, not plexiglass. Plastic has a static charge which will make your life miserable.

5 Likes

I’m wondering if anyone has tried the dry ice sieving method and then pressing the kief through a rosin press?

I’ve done the dry ice sieving method but a lot of plant material ends up coming through with the trichs because of the agitation. I wonder if by pressing the kief I might be able to keep most of those impurities in the rosin bag?

I’d love to hear what the experts have to say :slight_smile:

cheers

I never thought about drying out the wet material left over after making bubble hash and then using solvent on that material. It would seem like it would affect the quality of the resulting oil…

1 Like