Freezing material using dry ice possible?

Hi Guys,

i had always problems with ice building up during the freezing process prior extraction.

So i thought maybe it is a good idea to get the material as cold as possible fast.

Can i just put the freshly chopped buds in a vacuum bag just seal it no vacuum and put it on dry ice for a few hours?

Thanks!

1 Like

Yes, but I wouldn’t recommend direct contact with the dry ice. But you’ve got the right idea. Faster is better.

2 Likes

should i wrap the vacuum bag in a towel? so there are 2 layers between the material and dry ice…

I would just put them both in the same cooler. Styrofoam even. It’s so cold it will freeze in no time in a cooler.

1 Like

If you can pack the column or vessels with material & layer dry ice outside the column inside of a insulated bag. Freezes to temp in about a hour.

4 Likes

So i pack my tube with fresh material put some dry ice in the dewax sleeve and use a insulated bag like a condom to hold the cold temps together?

So the problem with that is that the dewax sleeve doesnt cool the last 10cm of the tube i would have to constantly put new dry ice in so it is all the time 100% full.
Also hard to find a insulated bag that big but i will continue searching…

Thanks!

1 Like

Or you could use nitrogen to flash freeze them

As long as you have a cls with a nitrogen set up

I am only extracting for my personal medical stash i have only a closed column with dewax sleeves.

Make a slurry of dry ice and isopropyl on the sleeve. Top it off on purpose to keep the slurry going. Dry ice and ISO gets down to a deeper freeze than just dry ice.

1 Like

Just to be clear. Do not put dry Ice inside the column. Dry ice is good to freeze your material. The problem is the amount of time it takes to freeze the material.

2 Likes

Nah I’m talking before you setup while you’re packing column I find easier to pack a cryo cold column with cryo cold material. Sleeping bags are perfect for a large column to be insulated with & have dry ice laid on the outside of the entire column. You will have to setup with it this cold so keep that in mind. Timing & precision are key.:ok_hand:t3:

1 Like

I was referring tote comment after yours.

1 Like

yeah of course i just put it oustide of the column into my dewax sleeve.

So if i understood that i right loading the outside dewax sleeve of the column with dry ice should be enough to freeze the freshly harvested material in let’s say 1-2 hours inside the column?

I can improve that with using some kind of insulation material to hold the cold temps longer.

Now i am not sure if i should do that and freeze the material inside the column or freeze both separately and freeze the material in advance of packing the tube inside a cooler packed with dry ice.

Nah need frozen material especially if freshly harvested. But what I would do for that is use a freezer bag to essentially flash freeze your material in a slurry of iso & dry ice or etho. Bag material up & slowly lower into slurry. Ice chest works best. Then leave material in a deep freezer with a insulator around it to keep cryo temp. Essentially what you do with dry ice anyways. Then while it’s staying cold you can put your column in a insulated bag (sleeping bag) & pack the dry ice blocks around it to achieve max cold temp. This shit will literally stick to your hands after it’s done, wear gloves. Set the column up to be pre packed with material, close it up as you would get ready to set it on a stand or triclamp & let it freeze in the bag for a hour or longer. Up to your for quality control, testing is best. Then setup column for blasting, vac down & let er rip tater chip.

1 Like

Could even use a column sock to help improve the process. :man_shrugging:t3: Hit up my guy @Filterman9 mr heyes will take care of y’all

3 Likes