Freezing dried & cured Bud for BHO

Is there any benefit to freezing socks of dried and cured bud before extraction? Any downside? Basically running dry frozen material.

Less impurities are obtained when running colder material.

You risk piercing cells with ice crystals releasing more impurities during your cold run. My understanding is you’d need to freeze it on dry ice in thin layers so it can freeze fast enough to prevent that.

1 Like

In my experience dry material isn’t very thermally conductive and the sock just ends up condensing humidity on the outside as you’re getting it into the column.

I suppose it depends on how soon you plan on running that sock

3 Likes

Do the experiment.

My experience says it’s actually counter productive.

7 Likes

Truth. My experience says it doesn’t help for BHO but it does help for cold ethanol extraction.

Maybe one-day we’ll have a huge open source list of all the experiments we are running and their results that everyone can access and review to try and make these changes.

Sometimes it seems like these are things we have all sludged through before - but where is the repository of this information for the next generation? Is it all just in our minds?

3 Likes

Cold ethanol doesn’t mind a little ice on its way to the goods…so at least it doesn’t hurt.

Ive always pre froze my dried and cured material, thought it was standard even for dried.

Guess im going to have to do a side by side!

7 Likes

For myself I guess it depended on the moisture content of the material and the fact that we were just using a vacuum jacketed column so the frost would just melt.

1 Like

Yea many ways to pet the kitty. I freeze tubes with packed material ready to go. Have often thought how Id do it with socks.

6 Likes

Socks vs tubes will make a difference here absolutely,

… that and playing in Oregon in the wet-dammit valley

7 Likes

Eight or so years ago after trial and error I came up with a system that worked for me. You may have a better system nowadays but the following is what worked for me at the time.

I would load up my tube with around 20 to 22 lb of flowers I would vacuum the tube and then put it in the freezer overnight (I vacuumed the tube to make sure no air is inside and thus no possibility of condensation freezing, with the obvious complications that can cause). I also kept my gas in the freezer. When I’m ready to extract I would first prep my system completely by vacuuming everything getting my long injection coil completely soaked up in a vat of alcohol and dry ice and then I will go ahead and pull out my already vacuumed extraction tube(also running vacuum on it again just to make sure), pack the jacket of it with dry ice and alcohol, wait about 15-20 or so minutes while my tube cools down to more than what it was, then I open the top valve leading to my gas tank, I had a centrifugal pump connected to my gas tank that would force the gas quickly through my extraction tube so as to minimize residence time and so I will turn on the pump and as soon as I notice pressure building up in my extraction tube I would know that it is completely flooded at which point I will open up the bottom valve on it and run all of the gas through my extraction tube in the shortest possible time. That gave me extremely good results, results that I could not replicate without freezing.

3 Likes

This is how I do it. I vacuum the material columns down before I put them in the -82c lab freezer.

3 Likes