Freeze Dryer Terpene extraction

Report back!

1 Like

what are you methods for removing water soluble terpenes from hydrosols?

1 Like

Chloroform?

what oven did you buy, i want

1 Like

Its 15k with a polyscience heater/chiller included

8 Likes

That’s some fancy stuff. I very much want one still.

Good lord

2 Likes

Dm if u want to talk about it, I have this in stock brand new in my storage unit in humboldt CA.

Might do a showing of the oven at Loco Science in Eureka

3 Likes

Cascade makes an oven that you can add the Cascade Maxtrap -105c or -50c cold trap.

1 Like

I’m in no place as of now. But I see the benefit in it. Give me a year and let’s see where I’m at

3 Likes

I’ll probably use it soon, videos to come! No problem making them with 1 month lead time

4 Likes

In puts the cannabis in the tube?

Or is that for decompression when the wooks show up too high to work?!?

2 Likes

This is the closest thread that I could find when searching.

A buddy is using a freeze dryer to dry and cure his buds. He puts it in his Home Harvest dryer for 24-48 hours and it looks fantastic. The thing that has me worried is that people in this thread are using it for terpene extraction.

His flower has a good nose, but I wonder what the difference is between another week of actual dry/cure versus the convenience of freeze dried bud.

2 Likes

I hope it’s all right that I piggyback on this thread.

I’ve been thinking about freeze drying and terpene extraction on my harvests, not wanting to spend the money on a harvest right freeze dryer (though I will if it comes down to it making sense), i couldn’t help but feel remiss if I didn’t explore this idea with the big brains on this forum.

I’m thinking about a ‘poor mans sublimation’ apparatus using an existing circulation chiller, reactor vessel and cryo cold trap. I’m wondering if something like this would work:

Pre-chill circulation chiller (specs say’s it can get to -40c, I’m not sure I believe it).
Keep glass cold trap frozen
Taking fresh/frozen flower into vessel into cryo cold trap until fully frozen.
Add frozen flower to reactor vessel. Add blanketing gas (probably argon).
Place glass cold trap back into cold trap. Connect to vacuum pump, and reactor vessel.
Running gas, turn on the vacuum.
Circulate pre-chilled solution through reactor vessel allowing to warm to ambient or so. I don’t know if insulating the reactor makes sense here (dump cold into the surroundings to slowly warm up the flower); unless this process needs to happen over a longer period of time than I’m thinking .
This is probably more of a mental jerk off than it is a practical process but I’d love to get input :slight_smile:

I tried freeze drying the flowers, i.e., did freeze dry them, but I was informed that there was a major difference in flavor. I don’t imbibe so I can’t report anything on the flavor aspect, but I do know that completing the freeze drying of the flowers will make them so dry they turn to dust real easy. Partly freeze drying them still made a marked (negative) difference in flavor as reported to me, but filling a chest-freezer with branches full of flowers was the only way to preserve the biomass from mold and maintain the security of One at the time.

1 Like

I just picked up this gem last week and going to try it along with an in-line dry ice trap.

It has the flasks (and a tray) inside the manifold cage. The flasks can be closed off as well. Going to take CO2 extracted crude (about 32% terps with what could be detected which is only about 30 our local lab has standards for) and a bit of distilled water and put it in the manifold flasks. It’ll vac down to 1 micron and get as cold as -95c. The in-line trap is a precautionary measure and for scientific purposes :grin:. The only issue will be the water soluble terps mixing with the water. But, need the water to build the ice. I can prechill and vac with the flasks closed off and let the distilled water one start to build the ice to trap most of the terps.

I seen 3a beads mentioned for the water solubles. Anyone else figure out a better way yet to separate those from the water themselves? Perhaps a cold boil considering most of the water soluble terps will boil off before water? I’ve done this with the co2 crude and pulled off some water clear “punchy” terps.

9 Likes

How is it going my boss has told me that he wants to save as many terpenes as possible for our new harvest right freeze dryer and he said he wants a cold trap of some sort to where the terpenes will fall into the trap instead of getting lost in the vacuum as one of you said the bvv ones do not look quite compatible with the unique threaded design is there anything that we could doUploading: 27D73BC8-203E-49C1-B14E-AC4F1B59298D.jpeg…

The drying part of the cycle is pretty quick, but the freezing part isn’t. You could combine it with a cryogenic pre-freeze to speed things up.

Welcome wutang48,

This thread should help

1 Like

I want that can you shownme where to get?

1 Like

Talk to @TRIPPIE

1 Like