Freeze dryer optimization

So aside from prepping the material (freezing solid before entering the machine itself) what can one do to optimize the freeze drying experience? Beefing up the vacuum pump being used? I want to get top level performance from my crappy Harvest Right and don’t have 5 figures to upgrade to a LC so I figure looking at smaller level optimizations like a better vac pump would possibly lend to faster FD times as lately to get my full 12hr dry and 8 hr freeze i’m still cresting 36 hrs on 4 fat trays at a 35f dry temp. Trying to shave it down for optimization’s sake - but then again, limits are limits at times. Before anyone asks I have the 1st level oil pump for a HR and i’m very diligent about having a hard set schedule about oil changes (every 3 runs, no excuses, brand new robinair oil as recommended by HR)

Thank y’all for your input.

Pic for reference of what type of pancake batter I will be freeze drying

7 Likes

Fuck it, slap an Edward’s 30 on that bitch

7 Likes

What’s the lowest condensor temp?
Too much vac can sublimate right off condensor.

4 Likes

Not sure, I run it typically at 30f the lowest, 35f on most runs. It’s a HR home version with a hacked firmware. Prior to forcibly making the firmware play nice it would only go to 75

1 Like

It looks like they have a max of -46c on the 3 L condensor. Does the harvest right have a vac controller? How low can you set it?

2 Likes

If it’s worth doing, it’s definitely worth over doing!

2 Likes

Some do but I have the super base model which is all manual I believe since my pump doesn’t have a small aux. voltage line to alert it when to turn off/on.

I’ll check out the hardware in a bit here once I coffee and adderall myself to cruising altitude.

3 Likes

I have a small pharmaceutical freeze dryer for sale never used if anyone is interested.

1 Like

Make a sales post @HydrocarbonaMarvin! How much u lookin to get for it?

1 Like

Im looking to get 2000 and buyer pays shipping Or local pickup in ok.