Foggy and cloudy CO2 oil?

Hey everyone…looking for answer why my full spectrum oil sometimes turn foggy at the end of my ethanol recovery in rotovap? I’m running CO2 system ( 2h [sub 1800psi-30c] and 10h super critical [2200psi-42c] on 5lbs of raw material (mostly machine shake dry to 5% moisture)! Then I dissolve my extracted mass in 10/1 ratio with 200proof Ethanol! I’m winterizing in my -80C fridge and filtering minimum 3 times with 20,10 and 1 micron filters at room temperature (average 23c). My first assumption was that is still moisture in my oil (after I’ve recovered ethanol) and did get results with 94 Heptane but it destroyed a lots of desirable terps. I assume that could be few different reasons why so that wise I’m reaching out! As I’m running small and crafted brand based on preserving flavours and keep it as natural as possible for my vape connoisseurs, I really appreciate any suggestions and help :love_you_gesture:t2:

What type of filters are the 20, 10, 1 micron? You have different efficiencies with different types of filters. Are you winterizing 3 separate times, or just running 3 passes at 23C?

Winterizing three times each for minimum 12h sessions in -80c. I’m using summit research borosilicate stage1,2,3!

U think that could be the fine wax still in it, cause of the inefficiency of the filters or room is to hot?

If you’re filtering at room temp, some super fine wax will definitely re-dissolve into solution as it warms.

1 Like

Some more details could be helpful. Are you chilling the filter/frit? How long does it take to get through your last stage of filtration? Do you rinse the papers with fresh solvent and is that chilled as well? Do you keep the container of solution in the freezer between pours?

3 Likes

Basically what all these guys are saying. No point in freezing your etoh/oil mixture at -80C for 12 hours if you just take it out and set it on the bench at room temp to filter. As the mixture warms up, finer waxes and particulates will redissolve into the ethanol.

As @SidViscous said, in between pours into your filter keep the solution in the freezer. Pre-freeze your filtering setup, pre-wet the filter paper with etoh you keep in the freezer. If you are rinsing your filter cake at all to fully strip cannabinoids then make sure you are using the -80C etoh.

If you want to get fancy with it, you can run your vac line inside your freezer and set up your filtration apparatus inside the freezer. Just make sure you don’t hit the refrigerant lines if you drill into the side lol. You can even buy a cheaper, small -40C freezer and modify it specifically for this purpose.

3 Likes

@Umbrella keep it cold as everyone is saying. Pre-freeze your filter, loaded with the papers in if possible.
Are you loading filter aid on top of the filter paper to create a depth bed? This is mostly done with Diatomaceous Earth to remove the lipids. Additionally, I’m not sure if the Hochstrom can accept depth filter media which has DE impregnated in it, but you would see better filtration through that vs. a standard filter paper. If it will, I could send you a sample to tryout.
Keep us posted!

2 Likes

Big thanks for everyone’s advice and suggestions…I’ve already bought a small freezer to do my filtration in it! @DBowers I did use Diatomaceous earth and Harwood carbon only for clearing out my dirty solution but never just DEarth for my wax.