Florida Floor Coating

Hey all. I am attempting to start up my own floor coating company in Southwest Florida. No clue where to even post this but I have seen a few threads about it before here. Wanted to put this out here in case anyone is in the SW and would like their floor coated. Whether its a garage, lanai or an interior I will come out and do a free estimate to tell you if it’s worth coating.

I have a year of experience from arguably the best coating company in the SW and my partner has 6 years. We know what works and what doesn’t work and how it works. We do use epoxy with a vinyl chip coverage on top of the epoxy basecoat to provide a beautiful look and UV light protection, and after that cures, we scrape it and apply a polyaspartic topcoat to provide extra protection. We do not acid etch, we grind the concrete down to bare concrete for proper adhesion to the surface.

Wanted to throw what little services I offer out here in hopes someone will respond.

14 Likes

Any experience doing epoxy over VCT and proper prep for wax removal?

Pictures of your work?

You ever work with Leggari metallics? Thoughts on doing a grit top coat vs no grit?

3 Likes

Dammit i need a garage floor coating but i have you blocked

4 Likes

You can do a garage yourself easy

4 Likes

Its cracked and ive been told the diamond pads + sealing will run me up on the diy costs. If its like 3k ish for a garage and supplies are 1500 and ill never reuse them, id likely go for an installer.

2 Likes

You can bondo and sand down the cracks, but I’m guessing the sinking foundation will be an ongoing issue. You probably want to get that figured out before investing in any fancy epoxy coat or just go for a cheap roll out epoxy and not worry about it.

Laying down some metallic at a new second spot as we speak, first coat (this is over VCT, prep is the key)

18 Likes

Thats fucking beautiful. I just want a simple blue with spackle. I also really really hope its not a foundation issue. My house was built in 2013.

3 Likes

He’s sent me pictures in the past, and his work looked super clean from what I could tell. I’ve only got one job under my belt, and learned a lot of what not to do. I’m sure @GummyChad has some pictures of his work to put in here.

Good on you @GummyChad for starting up your own thing, I’m certain you will have no shortage of work!

2 Likes

Personally I have only done concrete coatings with the company I work for. We have coated wood and it sticks just as well. Metal too as long as you do a little surface grinding.

We have done many floors where the homeowner attempted it and it eventually cracked or pop. We fill in cracks and joints to make sure that won’t happen.

Its all about the prep work. Grinding down and patching the cracks. If there’s saw cut joints, not tool joints, we fill them with a polyurea mender that gets as hard as concrete.

4 Likes

That works as long as you use a concrete grade epoxy fast patch. To save you grind time just start the coating process immediately after you grind, vacuum and blow out the dust then fast patch. The basecoat will soak right into the fast patch.

How bad does the floor look? I’ve worked on some pretty fucked up floors is why lol. Uneven, wavey concrete with hard and soft spots or some incredibly fucked up concrete in general because Juan and Pablo were short 3 other hombres.

Floor prepped. Ground it down, vacced the dust, blew it out and fast patched. Smoke break then we will start the coating.

Chip color is Smoke. We use a grey polyurea basecoat for this color. Smoke has been a popular choice recently.

9 Likes

Don’t neglect your PPE

8 Likes

Do you take up the baseboard trim? Water heater? Or just pour around it? Just curious.

1 Like

How profitable is the floor game. I see Gary vee type dudes giving classes and consults on the floor game.

1 Like

Believe it or not, I am the only one wearing a respirator.

1 Like

We use brushes to cut in the edges for basecoat and roll it out with paint rollers made for our material. If theres trim we just cut in carefully. We coat trim as well if the client requests it.

I do not know the answer to that but I assume good if my boss can afford the equipment he uses and benefits he gives us.

1 Like

can you please explain the steps it requires to make it look like this?

ive been working on a bedroom for a few days just got done grinding it, gonna mop once again before applying a product. not sure which yet, but that looks insane.

6 Likes

Yeah, that’s definitely the nicest epoxy floor I’ve ever seen.

4 Likes