Flavouring in terpenes is just added fragrance oils. Change my mind

Hey guys. I was just curious what everyone’s thoughts are about the flavours you use in your distillate and cartridges these days?? I’m not talking about strain profiles and botanical terpenes, I am referring to the straight up flavours that you see on the market these days, such as bubblegum, grape, or root beer. Are the flavours you see terpene companies selling really all that different than a simple fragrance oil??? If you read the SDS sheets at alot of these terpene companies, it almost appears as tho they are adding fragrance oils to their terpenes to make them “flavoured”, and then charging an arm and a leg for them. Am I missing something???

3 Likes

Fragrance oils is a blanket term that includes terpenes, which are used as fragrance and solvents in cleaning products. You know the pine smell in PineSol? Pinene, the same pinene in your jack herer cart. Lemon Pledge? Limonene, same limonene in cannabis as well as lemons as well as lemongrass as well as a million other places in nature.

Botanical or synthetic terpenes are fragrance. They don’t taste good, they are bitter af.

3 Likes

So why do fragrance oils from candle and soap making companies cost significantly less than botanical or synthetic terpenes, when the ingredients are almost the same??

1 Like

Grade, liability, formulation, and the lack of entering the body. Just because soap has an ingredient that’s safe for skin doesn’t mean you can formulate it into your food. There exists food grade Sodium Hydroxide and technical grade. One can be used for dipping prezels and one can be used for soapmaking. Idk if that’s a good analogy. It comes down to stabilizers in the formulation and the purity.

and maybe a little greed

5 Likes

I thought this post was referring to flavours added other than terpenes. For instance floraplex terpene spec sheets dont add up to 100% , i added all percentages together on grape soda amped up and only got 92%… so what is the other 8 percent?

1 Like

Vape Flavoring Concentrates like you can find on

2 Likes

If you pay close attention to the language most of these people use, they call it terpene-based flavoring or something similar to that. Most botanical “terps” don’t get their strong flavor from actual terpenes

I’m more curious about what’s in the flavorless terpene mixes, I wonder if anybody’s still stupid enough to use mineral oil

3 Likes

it was phytol and squalene for a while until it went to VIT E Acetate and then back to CBD.

A single flavor may have terpenoids, as well as non-terpenoid organic flavorings like ethyl maltol, cinnamaldehyde, etc.

Here’s a list of a single flavor in no particular order, stripped of values:
d-limonene, beta-caryophyllene, myrcene, linalool, beta-pinene, fencyl alcohol, alpha-bisbolol, alpha-pinene, alpha-terpineol, camphene, alpha-humelene, teroinolene, nerol, geraniol, camphor, alpha-cedrene, citral diethyl acetal, citronellal, ocimene(a/trans), Isoborenol, L-Menthol, Ocimene(cis), sabinene, ethyl-3-methyl-phenylglycidate, ethyl maltol, ethyl butrate, ethyl isovalerate, methyl anthranilate.

Not all are terpenes.

2 Likes

I think ethyl esters are a big part of what I’m seeing/smelling

3 Likes

these are full of other additives and fillers too, but there are alot of places that sell flavourings and fragrances that contain only different terpenes as the ingredients. Mainly fragrances designed for soap and candles

but these ingredients are the same ingredients we see in both terpenes geared toward the vape/cartridge industry, and in the soap and candle making industry, and when we are talking about ingredients at this level of purity then how much does the quality really differ from industry to industry?? Is there some explanation as to why a fragrance supply business can sell on oz bottle of these ingredients, but when you go over to a vape supply it seems the same ingredients cost 5-10 times the amount.

i never used any of flavourless additive. i didnt see the point

A lot. Some of it has to do with paperwork and track/trace and other has to do with shelf life and additives. In laymen’s terms, chemically speaking terpenes have sticky bonds that like to combine and make new larger terpenes, sometimes just with the addition of heat and light. The terpenes that are meant to be sold and immediately formulated (short shelf life, no stabilizer) are definitely not the same ones you want to be inhaling with preservatives that are meant for the chemical to sit on a shelf in a lab and be forgotten about forever. Do not even contemplate using the soap flavors for carts. They are not the same.

1 Like