First run tomorrow

Note: UK extraction (we’re way behind you guys in the states, so cut some slack lol)

Got all my equipment together, just waiting on a dry ice delivery tomorrow and I can start my first ever run …

Nervous and second guessing myself, so thought i’d post my work flow for you all to correct me on …

For more info, its a BHO Hardware Magnum 250

All valves closed.
Fill blast tube with material.
Cryo blast tube and collection tank for an hour or so.
Open all valves except F
Pull vac on whole system
Close valve A, turn off pump. System should now be under vac.

Fill Collection Tank with gas.
Place Reclamation Tank in dry ice.
Place Collection Tank in warm water (heated/circulated with Sous Vide).

Open valve B and C - liquid should now move from Collection Tank to Reclamation Tank.
Close valve B and C once all liquid emptied from Collection Tank.
Open valve D and valve E - liquid should now move from Reclamation Tank and flood Blast Tube (I don’t have to turn Reclamation Tank upside down as I have a dipstick)

Place Reclamation Tank in warm water (circulated/heated with Sous Vide)
Place Collection Tank in dry ice.
Leave gas to soak in blast tube for a couple hours.

Open ball valve F and let it flow into Collection Tank.
Once its all flooded down into the Collection Tank, place Reclamation Tank back into dry ice and the Collection Tank back into warm water. Let liquid gas move into Reclamation tank.

Shut valves B, C and F
Remove splatter pan and poor onto PTFE

Then onto the vac oven, but i’ll go into that in another thread tomorrow.

1 Like

forgive my mixing of terms liquid and gas … can’t seem to figure out how to edit my original post.

U probably should get filter drier at some point. And I only Inject chilled solvent into my system unless you was running crude for distallites I wouldn’t ever run warm gas

3 Likes

yep, ive missed a couple of things out on re-reading, yes i’ll chill the gas before injection (warmer than cryo, but still cold).

I’ve also missed out putting the Reclamation Tank back in warm water after closing B and C with gas in Reclamation Tanks (so it moves forwards to blast tube)

Am i correct in thinking I close the valves behind me as I move forward?

Damn, sitting here, just gone 8pm and i’m STILL waiting for my dry ice to arrive … not happy

Hay man I would leave the blast tune off while puttin the gas in, so after u hav distilled it in to the solvent tank u can clean the collection chamber of mystery oil

1 Like

Sucks about ur dry ice

1 Like

Ice finally arrived, but gonna start in the morning …

You will need some nitrogen assistance if you plan on using dry ice for your material column otherwise the solvent won’t enter your collection pot due to the temperature difference and you will be waiting all day for the solvent to finally trickle into the collection pot. Be sure to use condensing coils between the collection pot and your solvent tank. If you do use nitrogen then you can use that to pressurize your solvent tank and force the solvent into the material column and a quicker rate. This comes in handy when doing multiple runs a day and your solvent tank becoming very cold (if running only butane it will not create pressure under -1 degrees Celsius, Recommend a condensing coil between the solvent tank and your material column too. Hope this helps!

1 Like

Thanks for the advice, a condensing coil is on the shopping list. I should be ok for now without nitrogen, column is at -15, collection pot at -32, so the temp diff should allow for the tane to move down in the collection tank …

That’s why it took 3 hours …

ok, so, from the beginning.

Firstly, the specs of my blast column said column holds 2 cans of tane (840ml). I mistakenly assumed that was the amount of tane I could inject into the system … wrong. I now know I can stick about 10 cans of tane in. So I was woefully under with the amount of tane.

Second issue, the vac pump valve on collection column doubles as the gas injection port. I forgot to turn the valve off before removing the last can of gas, losing my vac in the collection chamber and some gas. I re-vac’d it and things carried on as per.

Fortunately I had the forsight to buy a gas detector, which started going ape shit once I put the reclamation chamber into the dry ice and opened the valves to move tane from its starting point (the collection chamber) into the reclamation tank. Tried washing up liquid, couldnt find the leak, then someone else suggested they had an issue with the sight glasses being the point of leak. I’ve tightened those up a bit, so hoping that will solve it, can’t test again until I do another run in a couple of weeks. IS THERE A SAFE GAS TO TEST THE PRESSURE INTEGRITY WITHOUT BLOWING MYSELF UP?

I did successfully get the tane (albeit such a tiny amount) moving all the way through the system, from the collection chamber, into the reclamation tank, through the blast tube, back into the collection chamber, and then back into the reclamation tank, so happy that I got the loop working without the need for nitrogen (although something I will definitely investigate for future. took about half hour for each ‘move’ of the tane from one tank to the next. I’m guessing this is where the nitrogen comes into play. Know fuck all about that, so will take one step at a time, research it on here and ask for help if anything not clear.

I did manage to successfully get some out onto and is in the oven now …

i soaked the tane in the blast tube for hour and a half, that was the longest part of the proceedure.

also, looking at the material under a scope shows it still got trichomes, so deffo not enough tane running through …

Don’t laugh but I pressure test mine with a bike pump sum barb conectoer and jubilee clips, usually max run pressure on mine is 20psi so I test at 80

1 Like

Trichomes/kief will stay with the material, if you extracted anything the crystals would be busted open. How much material was put in, how much solvent (only 2 cans?), and what was the yield, do you know the potency of your starting material? Also, as for a safe inert gas to pressure test your machine with; Nitrogen. Whenever you get your nitrogen, you can inject it into your empty system, get your pressures to 100psi, close everything off and let it sit there for 24 hours. If it doesn’t hold it, you’ve got a leak. I’d suggest going lower on the psi (50 - 70) if you don’t have high pressure clamps, though.

1 Like

You thought about making your own dry ice from a fire extinguisher or just bottle of co2 gas , I might try it for my next SPD run , £45 for 3kg I paid last week , lasted a day obviously, but might be less expensive making my own

thanks for that, i’m in contact with the system supplier for nitrogen …

i paid £96 for 26kg of pellets … not sure how that compares.