First of its kind study demonstrates benefits from ingested CBD in aquacultured fish

1 Like

in b4 every CBD brand adds aquarium products to their menus.

how long till we start seeing d8 fishtank products :laughing:

11 Likes

Aquaculture is what I went to school for, and I used to work in aquaculture research. Super stoked to see the worlds colliding.

Stress is one of the most important factors in determining aquatic animals health so the reduction in cortisol is interesting.

Tilapia is known as the “chicken” of aquaculture because the culture process has been so thoroughly refined that it can be done basically anywhere and a fuck load of research has gone into improving diets/methods to the point that it is very cheap. Similar thing happened with U.S. chicken farming following WW2. Would be cool to see if they can push it even further to increase efficiency.

5 Likes

Yeah, I expect that we’ll see a number of bulk pelleted feed products supplemented with CBD in the intensive aquaculture industry soon.The reduction in cortisol should lead to a corresponding reduction in several stress induced ailments. I also wonder how much the 10 mg/kg dose actually reduces aggression. Enough to significantly reduce cannibalism etc. in aggressive feeders like striped bass larvae?

3 Likes

Larval and fry stages of hybrid striped bass require live feed, so I’m not sure how supplementation would work in that case, maybe just by enriching your rotifers or something similar.

In the fingerling stages when they start eating pellet it could be hugely helpful because that’s when they are most vulnerable to stress and cannibalism. However in regards to cannibalism, dialing in your feed rates, and feeding times would probably provide a better benefit.

3 Likes

Just read a study about milk cows being fed a regime of cbd biomass silage. It didn’t end well. The cows were over salivating, stumbling and milk production decreased. I assume this isn’t the case for all animals, but having a stomach like they do and having the biomass as more of a fermented silage may contribute to their intoxication.
Its great to see that aquaculture studies are being produced and that the effects seem positive

I would love to see data on inverts like crayfish. Aside from Cherax spp. Most are too cannibalistic for intensive aquaculture. Meanwhile, the aussie crays are way too susceptible to North American fungus. Docile procamberus would be pretty cool. That said, I don’t even know if crustaceans have cb1 receptors so I’m kinda just riffing here.

1 Like

As my name implies I would love to see how this could impact shrimp. Being able to reduce stress and thus the susceptibility to disease it could be hugely useful. The lack of any kind of immune memory makes shrimp super vulnerable to disease, and some of the outbreaks of things like Vibrio, EHP and other infectious disease are the worst things that could happen to an intensive shrimp farm.

Mostly people have taken to doing biofloc tanks which basically load the water with beneficial bacteria, algae, and suspended feces/bacteria/uneaten feed particles (floc) to the point that diseases can’t compete. The floc is also edible by the shrimp so it also helps reduce feed input. Probiotics are a huge market in that industry. Some people are still doing recirculating systems though they’re falling out of favor as floc gets easier and easier to control.

1 Like