Fires are coming, evacuation warning

https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.yahoo.com/amphtml/group-local-residents-saved-oregon-170624873.html

Forgot to tag you in the above post as well

2 Likes

But, if the fire is definitely going to hit the location (and it’s feasible) find a transport company that is willing to move it or vent it.

Like @cyclopath, I’ve vented 100lb tanks to atmosphere and it’s terrifying. I had no other solution for getting rid of the gas—not my proudest or safest moment, but it did the job.

That being said, I was in an open field in the middle of Oklahoma. The more space you have, the better, but it’s still going to be unsafe.

10 Likes

I saw that. I have friends that volunteered just to save their area here. Thank the stars for the community here. Bless the firefighters. We had a fire crew have to escape their camp from fire near Reading.

1 Like

I think the governor should be on the news calling all men an women willing to help.give them all jobs and the fires could be out in no time if they can do it in that Oregon town we can to. But seems like they want it to burn honestly

2 Likes

I don’t care about the loss. My thinking is for the neighbors and firefighters. So it’s set up if I need to go. Tanks in a clear ish driveway “dirt” water sprinkler on. I wonder if dumping liquid, cause it’s faster is safer, I have only dumped vapor.

1 Like

It’s quicker to dump liquid

1 Like

dont bring politics into fires.

6 Likes

My response would also be liquid.

@Graywolf?

2 Likes

Any way to relocate it maybe drive it to a safe place? It may be worth asking a few locals if they can help transport it to a safe place for you

We have only a finenite of resources. Maybe there’s a bigger picture

Reminds me of an old parable

1 Like

I don’t think it’s safe to drive with tanks and dogs gear and all my stuff. I have a white f-350 van. Second time packed. This sucks!! I love it here! I grew up where it could never burn, east side. I escaped hell for here.
And the worst is, during evacuation people are getting robbed. Criminals are going into fire zones to rob homes and farms. #2020fuct

5 Likes

If you cant move it maybe you can submerge the tank in a pond or river? Would be best to confirm this with other regulars who no if that is safe. And yes these fire do suck it pains me seeing such beautiful forests destroyed. Agenda something somthing maybe and as for the people robbing I hope they get taught a lesson that will straighten them out

Sooo…I’m guessing @spdking mentions a kiddie pool to keep the tank from freezing. A garden hose will help too.

Probably the safest way to vent is to actually set the gas on fire. Not the way the DPW are rumored to do it, by just opening the valve and lighting it, then smacking the valve off with a hammer once it gets hot enough (never seen it done) but with one of these

image image

Not sure how long it would take to dump 300lb through one of those, I assume you have more than one tank. Guessing you don’t have four torches lying around…

I’ve made “fire art” that could go through a 20lb tank venting liquid in about 15min. I ran that torch today with the tank upside down (liquid).

7 Likes

I also want to be clear, I hate dumping gas. I’m a tree hugger as far as I can. I try to buy be safe and not pollute. I realize this business isn’t clean, but I try my best. Same with my extracts, as in goes to other disabled people I care for.
Really no point in this statement other to make me feel better , sorry

10 Likes

Feel for you. This is a matter of ensuring the safety of the guys and gals that are putting their lives on the line to safe property.

You may have other options, but not many

6 Likes

Can a tank be safely submerged in a pond?
Edit: I imagine it would be against environmental regulations and that is the stuff they really dont like

What and the fuck. That sounds terrifying. The land here is star thistle and pine trees are elbow to elbow. Can’t do that. Not trying to bring drama here. Vapor evacuation with water hose on. I think is safer?

3 Likes

No pond

Sure.

Not sure on implementation. Partial tanks might take thought.

Size of the container (kiddie pool vs lake) will determine efficacy…

Edit: and then there’s that…

1 Like