Filtration with t-41?

never done it before nor have i seen it from using the search bar. t5 sure…

but, have any of you filtered (quickly obviously) using t-41 as your carbon source?
did this have a drastic change in your solutions pH? which solvent did you choose? what temps did you choose?

i’m thinking if done cold and filtered quickly the result wouldnt have much change to the pH. If so you could LLE with some bakey sodey to remediate this issue before your second pass.

anyway long story short i was wondering if anyone had used t41 for their carbon filtration media

1 Like

@Photon_noir might want to chime in here…

2 Likes

Hi there, @c0dean ! Well…

Rrrrrreeeaalllyy long answer, short: Yes, of course! Filtration is the most common mode of use for T-41!

Any change in pH would depend mostly on the solvent polarity (in addition to time, pressure & temperature, to a lesser degree).

Thanks, @Sidco_Cat ! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

thanks guys. i’ll experiment with it this coming week. give an LLE afterwards check my pH and then proceed with distillation.

2 Likes

my 2nd pass will be close to water clear I’ve read… this will be interesting to see i have some nasty disty that my coworker didn’t properly 1st pass and didn’t store it correctly. its almost black its so amber. this will be a great start to the experiment.

1 Like

You may need more than 2 passes… and more than just T-41, honestly… to get distillate decolored… especially from so dark (sounds like “reclaim”). Once the disty is made, the color has different causes than those in simple solvent extract. It sounds like some chromatography is in order, here.

6 Likes