Filtering methods

Hi im a lab technician and ive been running test with different medias, such as t5 clay, t41 and silica and carbon, the picture here is a comparison of t41 thru a t5 patty and just regular crude with etho, both jars have 20g of reclaimed crude and 200 ml of etho, my question is, how has everyone else been filtering their crude? Can i get the color cleaner with more t41? What am i doing wrong. Thanks

I put a lot of details about filtration in my extraction and post processing Tek. Give it a read and let me know if you have questions!

The silica gel is what is doing most of the work, so make sure your silica layer is nice and even.

You also wont see much benefit with the silica if you choose to dissolve your crude in ethanol. T5 and T41 will both still do their work in ethanol but it’s better to use a non polar solvent when you’re working with silica gel.

1 Like

@ScoobyDoobie i use regular silica from summit, i have silica gel but not sure how to use it

The more pertinent part of that post was in regards to the solvent system

2 Likes

Silica gel is used in the same way as the other powders, oil laden solvent is passed through the silica gel and you continue to add fresh solvent to attempt to “wash” your oil out of the silica gel. As fresh solvent runs through the gel you will notice a gradual change in color in the solvent.

1 Like