FFE for stripping low wine

Continuing the discussion from High volume ethanol recovery:

So, does anyone have data on using an FFE for stripping a low wine?

As in what sort of proof can be obtained? Does a second pass get you any further?

Current facility has an ethanol production permit, and we’re having trouble sourcing ethanol.

Figure it might be time to start chucking yeast.

Reflux Still For Small-Scale ETOH Reproofing - #41 by tweedledew

4 Likes

I would think a roto would allow u to fracton off diffrent proofs… not sure how u would on ffe

With a single theoretical plate, my reading suggests a rotovap is in the same class as far as fractionating abilities.

I don’t expect to get to azeotrope in one round, but stripping the ethanol from a 12% sugar wash should certainly work

They concentrate both milk and orange juice with FFE. Can you explain why one could not concentrate ethanol?

3 Likes

Definitly except u catch the vapors, instead of the drips.
With the FFE, the middle column(vapor column) could just be filter plates stacked all the way up, ud have many plates thats way

1 Like

you will need to add some reflux for 90+++
system geometry is important.

3 Likes

I’d be happy with 50% on the first pass, and have had good luck with 4’ or even 2’x2" columns packed with SS scrubies to get to 190 in a single pass.

I have 3FFE and a 15gal reflux still on hand at the moment.

Maybe buy the cheapest juice, apple juice? And just get ur starting material out of that? Why are u choosing wine? just curious

misusing terminology. “wash” was the term I had, but has a different usage around here. I thought I was using an equivalent term. I was wrong

sugar wash. as pointed to upthread.

1 Like

Wow yeah i totally misread lol ignore my last post :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Ignore?
but I learned something!!!
:wink:

1 Like