Falling Film + Rotovap Combo machine (patent pending)

So is the “flash vaporization chamber” glass or steel?

1 Like

that’s pure genius

1 Like

Im interested too. Im looking for some equipment for my lab in Colombia. Fill me in on pricing and if a demo is possible lmk ill stop by.

1 Like

Glass with heated walls on the first chamber. That way you can visually tell whether you need to alter parameters

Are you any closer with specs and pricing yet? Feel free to DM me.

1 Like

Very intrested in this as well as many on this thread. Located in Southern California let me know when available and pricing

Yeah, I’m also curious about how this is coming along. Do you have any info about when this will be available and at what price?

Yes my apologies this project has taken much longer than anticipated. Our manufacturing partner dropped the ball and made very little progress in the time allotted to them. We have pivoted and are now doing all the design/engineering, testing and R&D, and final assembly in house. I’ve been hesitant to release any updates with the progress because there have been far too many delays already so I have been tight lipped. I finally feel like we are taking some big strides lately and should have the prototype up and running very soon (before end of April).
The pricing is currently in the 50k area for the complete setup but this isn’t set in stone yet so things may change, especially as we introduce some automation.

10 Likes

When you guys have it up and running, I urge you to get sales reps to advertise the fuck out of this device to the cannabis extraction facilities in Massachusetts. They seem like they’re always under produced with extracts.

5 Likes

Bumping

I can’t see any indication that the above patent was ever filed, so my guess is that it was challenged by the examiner and they decided to not pursue it.

I also don’t see why you would use flash columns before the ball, instead of just using the roto ball as your flasher.

2 Likes

The patent was completed. The original prototype was wayyy over engineered. It was too complicated and unwieldy to operate so it was shelved. The original goal of competing with a falling film in terms of speed just wasn’t feasible. I have been thinking about releasing a simplified version.
In theory if you completely flashed out your solvent then in the evap flask would work, but that’s not really feasible. Only a small portion actually gets flash evaporated so you end up with excess solvent in the flask. With the column you have heated walls and a control valve that drains into the flask. It flashes, runs down the walls ala a falling film then only the residual ends up in the flask.

The fraction evaporated depends on the solvent and the temperature and pressure pre-nozzle and in the flash drum. Easy to model with the right math.

Flash systems are extremely viable with alkanes. Less fun to optimize with alcohols.

My design has the roto ball be a working/circulation vessel, with the system treated as a semi-batch system.

Spray into the ball, collect what flashes off, keep the ball hot and spinning, suck out of said ball, circulate it back through your pressure/heat system, repeat until you’re done for whatever value of done you want to hit.

Done this way you can devol/desolv/head strip all at once. I suppose you could even use it as a still for main body pass, though it would really not be the right tool for the job.

5 Likes