Falling Film Evaporators

Who’s building them?
-What are the recovery rates?
-What are the total power requirements of the system?
-What’s the price range?
-Has anyone tried an Ecochyll condenser on one?

I know myself and others here have been shopping them, and want to say goodbye to that bottleneck. I’m hoping to set up with something in the 130-150L/day range. And I don’t like throwing anyone under the bus, but CES lost me on the Sprayvap when they quoted me $500k.

1 Like

The two that I know of are Bizzybee and Pinnacle Stainless. Both can handle 100L/hr. Bizzybee’s runs around $100k and Pinnacles is $180k but comes with training.

I know Bizzy was going to be testing a 24kW heat source and so you’d need roughly equal amounts of cooling. It could probably run with a 15kW steam generator though.

Note: Pinnacle’s system is a Rising Film Evaporator.

1 Like

I really want to go check out Bizzybee’s rig. I went to take a look at TruSteel’s 30gal/hr system, and it’ll be really nice once he tidies it up for release. At the time the projected cost was $155k.

im interested in a design lik this

1 Like

I’m considering building one out of pool heat exchangers just for proof of concept and affordability. Corrugated tubing…mmmm…

I believe @Future and Bizzybee have extremely similar designs in the evaporation stages to what Plant2pipe posted. My question is how are you guys draining the degassed crude product? Do you have to break vacuum and/or close a valve between the evaporator column and the adjacent liquid-vapor separator? The expensive option would be one of them fancy discharge pumps that hold under vacuum.

?Zach? from Pinnacle Stainless told me a few months ago that his heat source is a steam generator that is about half the cost of the machine. I’m very interested in the capacity and power consumption on that thing.

yes i plan on building one too. I also want to experiment with countercurrent inert gas in this kind of system where the bottom of the tubes narrow causing the gas to bubble up thru the liquid at the bottom of the tube as well as heating the outside of the tube

Pinnacle’s system uses a steam gen in this manner. TruSteel’s evaporator tube is a shell and tube design, but with heated circulating fluid instead of inert gas (steam). Comparing those systems so far by the numbers I couldn’t really see an energy saving one way or the other.

i also hav a design in mind that uses this concept
might be better suited for liquid-liquid extraction but i think it would work for this two

Image result for gutter that use the surface tension

well just the surface tension part

2 Likes

Ever consider forced circulation plate and frame heat exchanger evaporators vs falling/rising film? They have very high overall heat transfer coefficients (U value) compared to falling film, and consequently less heat exchange area to do the same boil up. Tend to be less $, depends on scale, and process fluid. There are trade-offs no doubt vs film evaporators.

1 Like

thats does look lik an efficient design. i’m interested in a design where the hot inert gas contacts the liquid for other reasons but this seems like a good mix of ease of production and efficiency

Sounds like a packed air stripper column is what you are envisioning, but a diabetic column section. Application details?

at what point does the entrained oleoresin start changing the viscosity enough to be problematic?

What happens if some drongo runs the thing dry and bakes the cannabinoids et al to them skinny little (tapered) tubes?

and enquiring minds what to know: wft is a packed air stripper?!?

Was referring to Plant2pipe’s desire to contact hot inert gas with liquid. This is accomplished elsewhere in what’s called a “stripper” column, which is packed column through which stripping gas is passed usually countercurrently. Often air is used as the stripping gas, but N2/CO2 can be good too, application dependent.
Plant2pipe was also wanting to heat the contact zone, in addition to hot stripping media. Generally, strippers are adiabatic, meaning heat is not supplied in the contact zone, but some designs are out there for diabetic, touting improvements of various sorts.

Tapered tubes sound problematic for the reason you cite.

1 Like

well u could pour distillate down it at the temps u run at without a crazy amount sticking I’d bet, then at the end sequester the primo cut just turn up the heat up alil. you could even use steam at the end. Then if it ever gets bad just pour clean ethanol down it.
I think its the same thing as inert gas stripping cause air counts as “inert” enough to most people. I was planning to do it with some sort of structural packing not powder.
They also sometimes call them bubble columns

Yep, i’m also gonna experiment with lower than ambient pressures so that i can know its about at the mixtures boiling point by go to its boiling point then either backing of the pressure or temp so thats its right at the edge. Then i usually say n2 because air how oxygen which could cause oxidation at those elevated temperatures, right? by narrow i mean something more lik vigreux where raising vapor has to “bubble” through the liquid. I think there r relatively simple design considerations that could accomplish something like that without negatively affecting the equipment in that way but im probably wrong so any idea’s or suggestions or modifications are all welcome and appreciated

@Killbill

1 Like

How cold you guys run the chiller in the falling film?

Good day sir,

I am manufacturer for labs equipment and can make falling film evaporator.
Now there is promotion on December and i will supply discount price for you.

Except falling film, i can also make following product.

1. rotovap, falling film evaporator.
  2. extraction centrifuge
  3. short path distillation
  4. chiller
  5. vacuum pump and so on.

you can also see my profile and my post and you will see more details.

so pls tell me what you want, then i can send the quotation to you.

The target cooling temperature of your condensing fluid will depend on the flow-rate of the condensing fluid and the boiling point of your solvent. In real terms, you can easily condense ethanol with 90 F condensing fluid or you can use 50 F condensing fluid at a lower flow-rate. If you distill under vacuum, you will also depress your boiling point and will need to depress your target cooling temperature or flow more.
At Aptia Engineering, have been engineering and manufacturing falling films for several years. Check us out and get in touch if you would like to learn more. Aptiaengineering.com