Fake concentrate?

ok because some scum in canada were using pine tar as a shatter cut

2 Likes

It didn’t dissolve in iso. What’s that mean?

1 Like

given that folks extract cannabinoids with iso?
it’s means it’s NOT cannabinoids…

which means you ought not huff it!!

7 Likes

The oil on the right looks like some good distillate gram’d out in parchment.

yep. that’s what it looks like.

if it doesn’t dissolve in alcohol, it’s not…

if it does disolve in alcohol, you’re still better off knowing how to use fast blue (1969 publication date…).

https://pspcorp.ca/products/sirchie-nark-test-duquenois-reagent-for-marijuana-hashish-tmc-box-of-10?variant=16622847852603

11 Likes

“Alcohol test” doesn’t make much sense to me. The major constituents in pine resin are also soluble in alcohol

1 Like

Nobody is saying “if it dissolves in ethanol, you should huff it”.

Simply that if it does not then you should not.

OP says “did not dissolve”.

if pine resin was the only fake out there I’d have to agree with you.

What would you recommend instead?

5 Likes

Lab results or buy from more trust worthy sources. If you don’t have access to those, buy a rosin press for a few hundred bucks and squish some flower.

Curious if UV light could differentiate the two. But you’re right, it might not even be pine resin. There are tree resins/rosins with every consistency you could imagine. Some are derived from petroleum which opens the door for a whole bunch of other nasty hydrocarbons.

I don’t disagree with you I just don’t think that the alcohol test proves much of anything if it were in fact pine resin we were looking for.

3 Likes

abso-fucking-lutely!!

agreed! squish is a great option for home use.
cheaper than that even.
I’ve seen licensed extractors use hair straighteners in production!
I paid less than $20 retail for one with variable temps settings.

almost certainly. might require more than a flashlight and an unaided eye.
something like the DIY Fraction Finder on a budget would likely give some insight

my understanding is you can tell the difference between between D10 and CBC based on their UV spectra (no, I did not say you could ID based on those differences alone).

6 Likes

Ethanol solubility only answers one question. But if you’re doing this test you’re going to have more questions. Ask them.

1 Like

If anyone can get their hands on some fake concentrate, could you shine a UV light on it to see if there is any difference between the glow of real and fake?

1 Like

That’s what I’ve been trying to figure out, let me know if you make any progress on it. It would make for a great community project if we could come up with an affordable at-home method to identify cuts. I originally was trying to come up with a procedure to identify vitamin E acetate in solutions

3 Likes

Is the ISO test reliable? Are all dabs supposed to dissolve? Mine didn’t. And I don’t have any UV lights

4 Likes

I’ll pick up a light at Napa tomorrow and shine it at stuff that doesn’t get me stoned. I’ll post pictures.

3 Likes

It can be tricky looking at pictures. Would you call that glow “yellow”?

image image image image image
A. Bland taste
B. Tastes like chemicals don’t melt right or get me stoned. Also when placed in everclear only the color dissolved out, leaving a white mass which I rubbed between my fingers. It felt like fat from winterization.
C. Tastes bad and acts similar to B. when placed in everclear.
D. Tasted like tires, unsmokable. but provided a buzz. So I put it in the oven at 250-260f I plans to go for 1/2 hr but the presumed co2 bubbles stopped completely at 15 minutes.

2 Likes

$18 at Napa. Pictures of slicks don’t translate well. So I’ll do another solution of each of these. Measuring this time. And try again later. But I have to get back to work for now.

2 Likes

If it doesn’t dissolve in high proof alcohol, it is NOT cannabinoids

Period.

4 Likes

.15 g samples, each in one tablespoon of everclear. image
I’ll shoot more pictures as things start to dissolve. Can we rename this thread? “Show off your bunk”

4 Likes