FAF (fast as f***) CBD Isolate

I did a test run of this in the rotovap. it works great but my first go didnt have enough slurry to pour out. it ended up being a large chunk of isolate.

I did another run doing what @Apex suggested and after a vacuum releases i had nucleation points and then at that point i poured out the solvent and it crystallized in the beaker in less than 5 minutes.

I’ll continue to play around with this process. now if only i could find a way to purge the hexane from the isolate as quick as it can crystallize~

Would a series of water washes work to wash out the hexane?

I did end up getting crystalization to occur. I had to keep it above a 1:1 of solvent to distillate while cold boiling to get it right. Lightly hlding the flask helped to get it to the correct ratio.

No, you want to filter via buchner, then dry in a vac oven or atmo

1 Like

How about acetone instead of hexane? Would it need some water mixed in to make less soluble? I’ve noticed acetone does that endothermic thing when pulled through a dcvc. Are you using a magnetic stirrer under the roto ball?

Stick with alkanes for crystallization.

I just use the rotovaps motor to spin the flask, no need for a mag stirrer.

1 Like

I filtered over a buchner with cold hexane. What is atmo?

atmo=atmosphere.

However with Hexane you will not remove all residual in atmosphere, I find Hexane is much hard to purge completely. I’m usually stuck with 50-70ppm of hexane using a vac drying oven.

1 Like

Ah, cool. I figured that’s what you meant but wasn’t completely sure.

I wasn’t doing this Tek to sell or use the product, just doing it for the experience, and since I don’t have a vac oven I’ll probably just mix it back in with some first pass and redistill.

You can do a similar thing in a glass reactor. I use -50oC on the condenser. I draw in my pentane into the reactor by vacuum, vent, and pour in distillate. Seal it all up, heat the jacket to a roiling boil while refluxing the pentane back into the reactor, and stirring at about 100 rpm. I then start cooling the jacket AND pull a vacuum to keep it boiling and refluxing. As it cools, I divert the reflux to a collection flask. You can snap a CBD slurry really quickly; or turn off the stirrer and precipitate it out on the walls. I find slurry easier to work with. The real magic is on the post-processing. Do it all under a fume hood when you add the distillate. And be careful; if you lose cooling in the condenser when the jacket is warm, and/or vacuum that glass can over-pressure and blow apart! I typically just use a water aspirator and change the water whenever I start to smell pentane in the water.

5 Likes

Draw a deep vac release and pour. The crystallization occures NOT from cold NOT from solvent but from atmospheric pressure shock.

3 Likes

Interesting statement. Can you elaborate? Pressure swing absorption crossed my mind. After pouring how long and temp does it have to sit to crystallize?

1 Like

Imagine 2 particles that want to be with each other but are resisted by the surrounding environment.(distillate moves slow) a mass of the same particle is together they nodes begin and grab passing particles to join the party. At below freezing tempature the crystals will form after that the solvent will liquefy them. So thump it and once 32F hits your done.

Think if you have a high powered magnet(attractions of particles) and small steel dust suspended in an oil passing by(nodes) what would happen. The vaccuume shock is what starts the flow assisted with solvent environment.

2 Likes

What vac depth do you typically find works best?

2 Likes

Good tip on the water vacuum pump. Recently installed a 50L dual jacketed similar to usa labs or golleaf. It only came with a recovery condensor so i barrowed one from my dual condensor rotovap along with an extra polysci 1.5 durachill i had sitting around , julabo A80 for thermo control . Im installing central vacuum just realized a water aspirator vac source would be safer on the reactor.