Extracts coming out red to pink with b80

general consensus is 200-400f for several hours for the b80?

are you just putting the b80 in big pyrex dishes?

Thanks

1 Like

I jusg put it on parchment as thin as possible

1 Like

I’m going to microwave the shit out of it I guess… see if that does anything.

I just tried baking ours straight out of the bag for the first time and it turned out oven into a freaking steam room. I was blown away by how much water was adsorbed.

5 Likes

It will spit water out of my vent knob when i do a lot in my oven for drying stuff

3 Likes

Does w1 need dried?

There’s a ton of moisture in it just like b80

1 Like

We just baked ours and it definitely let out some water so it’s probably a good idea. Almost looks like it burned a little on top though (very top layer turned darker in the oven)

Did you notice a Sulphur smell coming off of it at all? I get some kinda smell in the microwave when I dry it.

Got me curious as to what is being used for activation.

Smelled like acetic to me tbh but the extract didn’t seem to carry any over. I know the pH is fairly low, didn’t check the pH of the oil yet though

When i bake the b80 mine does the same, top gets kinda grey and below gets a lil ligjter it seems. Also TONS of water comes out

1 Like

Yeah, I guess it could almost be that smell too. It wasn’t overwhelming, and within a short time it went away and I didn’t notice any coming through the extracts either.

Not too concerned personally, I’d stop using it, or I woulda make a separate thread, just curious.

1 Like

I’m also getting that red amber color with the B80, are you running cold enough to strip all of the lipids ?

1 Like

We’re running a methanol winterization so there are no lipids to speak of in our extract. I noticed the red is substantially more apparent if the B80 isn’t baked so I’m guessing it’s some polar/water soluble compound rather than lipids

2 Likes

Water causes desorption so it could be that. I’ve noticed when I re used celite/B80 the red color leeches through. also when I run what I believe is too slow through the powders it also comes thru. Have you tried AA I hear that does away with reds

I’ve only tried it doing the beaker method IPA boil but didn’t really work well enough to justify having to sort out another solvent in the lab lol. Didn’t get a good handle on if it did anything for color or not

Yeah I run through a coil in dm dry ice slurry. Slowly. It’s cold af.

when you say full vac is that 29.9 and keep the valve open for the vac ? I got cascade ovens
When I pull full vac on b80 the powders will start popping everywhere and it gets messy

Can it be avoided to end up with a messy vac oven, or best option to dedicate an oven only for B80 drying?

It doesnt need to be messy, don’t pull vac when powder is in there and soak/wipe water when done.

2 Likes