Extraction temp vs yield

Hey everyone, I’ve been noticing some yield discrepancies in my extractions, and I’m wondering if inconsistent extraction temps could be the culprit. I shoot for around -60 injection temps, into a column with a slurry filled jacket. This then gets CRC’d at 5-10% straight b80. Next run, I’m going to try to lower that extraction temp to around -20, and boost my b80 by a couple percent. Does anyone think this should boost my yield a bit? Would the adverse effects be worth it?

More media=more oil retention. Try running at room temp with a second tank to receive the solution to prevent the biomass from soaking in solvent as it takes its time moving through the crc. That should fix the yield issues, allow you to use less media, and produce an overall lighter color oil

7 Likes

Room temp? Do people actually do that? I like the second vessel idea, and I do have a column sitting around collecting dust…

1 Like

For awhile I figured I was having the same issue. Realized I had too much contact time of my solvent in the material column due to running through a 4” crc. So I placed a “holding column” between my material columns and my crc. This allowed me to get all of. Or most of solvent out of my material in the time I wanted… then just pushed from my holding vessel to my crc. This method also allowed me to eliminate any nitrogen usage in my material column which was also nice…
As I thought this method was beneficial and I did like it I ended up eliminating this holding vessel on my system…

For the OP. I would try extracted around -40 to -50c and see if that’s helps. Since you’re that cold play around with different soak and full saturation times. You could also be overthinking it and it could be material dependent. If you really do think you’re losing yield and don’t have a secondary collection pot or “b pot” to extract into. Recover all of your solvent, pour, record data yields etc. pass some more solvent over your material and see if you are collecting anything else… but also remember there may be some oil left over in your crc. So it’s possible you may need to also adjust your solvent to bio mass ratio. Hope that helps.

1 Like

I’m also running a bypass solvent line to flush crc column as opposed to running more solvent thru bio

2 Likes

You rinse the crc with more solvent after you push your column solution through, to rinse out the last absorbed oil that you can pull out of the media?

Yea if my bypass tank is stained ithen I know the crc is also

Wait, let me understand this clearly lol. You run your solvent through the CRC, after the main columns have been ran into through, then into the bypass tank/collection? Or push that solvent into the main collection?

Are you assuming the stuff you are flushing off the crc isnt usable, to add into your collection?

Or am I reading this wrong, and you use a seperate room temp bypass solvent tank to flush the crc. Idk what you’re saying lol

Beep bop boop

I’ll post a drawing of my new set up for a bucket of w1

1 Like

Ps goddamn did this technique work

I used to do something similar, after my run I’d flush my crc column with clean butane to get any remaining oil in the crc. I didn’t like collecting it with my run because it was different colored fractions from first pour off and second flush. I also noticed it wasn’t a significant amount of oil after the flush so I stopped doing that since the time it took to get the oil didn’t make sense to me, rather start a new run.

3 Likes

Right lol I collected a second wash on 3 batches and I ended up getting an extra 150g but it took me so long I’m not sure if it was worth it. If I had a second collection chamber it would be worth the time

1 Like