Extraction Pro Needed

This is the way.

With your solventless or hydrocarbon set up in hand, the final product will speak for itself in the stores. Especially if your customer base has grown to enjoy the flower you put out (and other flower/trim products like prerolls/blunts).

Co2, you’ll just be selling your distillate by the kilo to the bigger guys, not even getting your name out there. On top of that the markup for co2 equipment is absolutely ridiculous, surprised nobody has mentioned that.

6 Likes

Just sent DM about contracting for a consult.

1 Like

Agreed. But why

If centrifuging THCa to purity?

2 Likes

I think hes using the shortpath to pull the terps off of hte. you could always just formulate using the hte

1 Like

I like how raw garden takes really well crashed out hte and puts it through a spinning band or short path to get really refined flavor and fragrance components. I feel that is superior in flavor when to adding back decarbed THCa over just HTE but both are nice

1 Like

Just a friendly reminder that USDA certified organic ethanol is a thing.

9 Likes

I feel like ethanol also locks you into the wholesale distillate market.

1 Like

Ahh short path the terps. I agree, that’s what a lot of the sub critical co2 guys do as well, great results

5 Likes

I had great results using water in a addition funnel attached to the boiling flask. The water droplets will vaporize and pull the terpenes along with it, allowing the process to go much faster (took about 2 hours for 2l of crude). Without water I had to run the mantle and stir bar overnight to get a similar yield of distilled terps.

1 Like

agree! this method is great

1 Like

But it won’t be solventless

1 Like

Rosin press it is then! Unironically this may be an interesting path that OP may have not considered.

2 Likes

Only problem there is that you lose some of the essence to the water.

A nitrogen sweep gas through an immersed percolator has similar effects on speed, without the flavorful water problem, but then requires much more condensing power

2 Likes

Keep in mind that if you go the Hash rosin route, you will be limited to the absolute cream of the crop for input material, and yields are sub 5% absolute best case. The material should also be freshly frozen, ideally.

5 Likes

Which is one reason why…

2 Likes

You got a lead on that organic butane?

All kidding aside, if they’re using CO2 they’re either going to need ethanol to winterize or they’re going to be throwing a lot of material away to get to that fraction you can put in a cart without winterizing.

However, you can get organic ethanol (undenatured) and do organic either with straight EtOH or CO2/EtOH winterization.

2 Likes

Most of Europe have to not use solvents in their food products as far as I understand. I’ve consulted for a few companies just in preliminary discussions and help figuring out what systems you might want. …honestly solventless is the best way to go. You don’t HAVE to go co2 but I understand there are some benefits but yeailds are
Low and overhead is high

3 Likes

Supercritical carbon dioxide is absolutely solvent. The CO2 solvates (encapsulates) molecules. Just the way water forms a hydration shell around charged ions.

Besides being a bottle neck, the winterization step is essentially a second extraction, but this time its ethanol.

For a small limited license market, you may get by with CO2 for a bit. But you will get steamrolled when the market opens up and more hydrocarbon and ethanol extractors come online. The only real advantage CO2 has, aside from being non flammable, is that it is good for terpenes if you know what you’re doing. Aside from that, you can get some great terpene fractions with butane.

2 Likes

This guy is not hiring for 18months.

I think he is looking for consultation on buildout and equipment