Extraction Pro Needed

What if I told you that butane from certain deposits was microbial in origin, and therefor “organic”?

Will you be winterizing your CO2 oil?
Using organic ethanol?

Would water satisfy your chemo-phobia?

See:USDA cert organic extraction processes

For one discussion, and the search bar for more…

13 Likes

Switch your planning to ethanol. You are going to use it to process your co2 oil anyway.

2 Likes

Take it from a CO2 lab… seriously consider this option. @G_Boe is right, if your are serious about solventless look into the hash route.

8 Likes

Now you’re conflating organic with solventless?

Use “solvent free” if you mean you got rid of it

Solventless is reserved (or should be) for “we didn’t use any damn solvent hippy!”…or your customers will eventually decide you’ve been lying to them.

10 Likes

The hash washing option has been floated around as well, nice to know more people do this - even if it is labor intensive. Thanks @G_Boe and @cyclopath for the knowledge.

2 Likes

Using what is arguably the least scalable extraction method (CO2), then making distillate with it is one way of getting the job done.

Not the route I’d recommend … I can be hired to make such recommendations…you can probably tell I won’t sugar coat the facts.

What is the first sku you’re looking to produce?

Distillate is referred to as “hot dog water” in some circles. You can make it with decent inputs, but there is little sense in that unless you’re growing the input and capturing the terpenes.

Decarboxylating THCA get your higher potency with less effort and equipment : Please humor me. How are decarbed diamonds that much different from distillate?

CO2 can produce great “terpenes”, but there are other routes that are equally effective.

6 Likes

Thca is better for distillate
Co2 is better than nitrogen for terps. Bigger yields and no hydrosol.
Butane is cheaper than co2 for terps hte into a short path

5lb Bho setup
Centrifuge
Shortpath

Every sku under the sun for less OPEX

6 Likes

I’d disagree with this statement.

It’d probably be good to discuss your ideas with consultants that are proponents of different types of extraction. We all have biases, based on truths and opinions.

If you are looking to stand out, distillate is not the product to do it with.

6 Likes

If you are making edibles and vapes standing out isn’t usually the goal, it’s revenue and CPG business plans

Rosin and good hydrocarbon is how you think you stand out but with less than 10% of the market buying concentrates and extracts the real way to stand out is with good flower and killer marketing

6 Likes

This :point_up_2:

4 Likes

This is the way.

With your solventless or hydrocarbon set up in hand, the final product will speak for itself in the stores. Especially if your customer base has grown to enjoy the flower you put out (and other flower/trim products like prerolls/blunts).

Co2, you’ll just be selling your distillate by the kilo to the bigger guys, not even getting your name out there. On top of that the markup for co2 equipment is absolutely ridiculous, surprised nobody has mentioned that.

6 Likes

Just sent DM about contracting for a consult.

1 Like

Agreed. But why

If centrifuging THCa to purity?

2 Likes

I think hes using the shortpath to pull the terps off of hte. you could always just formulate using the hte

1 Like

I like how raw garden takes really well crashed out hte and puts it through a spinning band or short path to get really refined flavor and fragrance components. I feel that is superior in flavor when to adding back decarbed THCa over just HTE but both are nice

1 Like

Just a friendly reminder that USDA certified organic ethanol is a thing.

9 Likes

I feel like ethanol also locks you into the wholesale distillate market.

1 Like

Ahh short path the terps. I agree, that’s what a lot of the sub critical co2 guys do as well, great results

5 Likes

I had great results using water in a addition funnel attached to the boiling flask. The water droplets will vaporize and pull the terpenes along with it, allowing the process to go much faster (took about 2 hours for 2l of crude). Without water I had to run the mantle and stir bar overnight to get a similar yield of distilled terps.

1 Like

agree! this method is great

1 Like