Extraction Manager Looking for Work / East Coast

You’re totally spot on, I’d say. I’m definitely too critical on myself, and it seems to be a factor in what’s stopping me from completely exploring new things (along with severe ADHD lol). I sure do spend a lot of time THINKING about other options instead of just diving in. Nearly all my life choices up until now have been heavily impulse based, so I think deep down I’m attempting to make sound choices and I end up just pondering and procrastinating instead.

I’ve seriously been thinking about going to college specifically for the networking aspect, since I don’t have many connections at all and do find it difficult to cultivate them. I’ve always wanted to go to college and stick through it, but the price is definitely stopping me, on top of not knowing what exactly I’d major/minor in.

My dad actually does HVAC/Electrical, and has been for my whole life. Growing up and to this day I help him on the job every once in a while, but I only understand the basics. If he was still looking for clients, I’d be down in Miami looking for grows and labs right now hahaha, but he’s trying to retire. I don’t think I’d enjoy doing it long-term though.

I’m good at working with my hands but it honestly gets frustrating after a while, as far as I can tell I seem to have a higher tolerance for computer based work if anything, plus I’m not a very big or strong person so extremely laborious tasks aren’t my forte.

Here’s a few things I’ve realized I enjoy learning about (in no specific order);
-World history, specifically human relations and the rise/fall of civilizations, as well as art and architecture.
-Horticulture/Agriculture, I’ve enjoyed it as a hobby since I started growing indoors back in CO, and now I finally have space to play around with an actual food producing garden.
-Sustainability, I think the cannabis industry is in dire need of innovation in terms of sustainability, like energy consumption, manufacturing waste, among other social and economic aspects.
-Landscape photography, whenever I do get out on a hike or something I enjoy taking scenic pictures, but honestly who doesn’t?
-Building PCs, setting up servers, modding games that I enjoy, among other computer based tasks.

Anyway, I hope I don’t seem like I’m making excuses. I guess I just wanted to express what I’ve been thinking and feeling lately. I appreciate you chiming in with a healthy dose of realism. I also saw @AgTonik post about remote work ideas the other day and I’m considering those options as well. Always helpful to hear different perspectives and ideas.

I’ll be making a much stricter schedule for myself after today to keep my ass on track xD

4 Likes

Go apply to your local union hall. Not sure on GA, but homies in MA working laborers union getting 43/hr for local jobs, 65/hr for state jobs+ overtime.

Get some bread up and do a little processing on the side, so you don’t feel like you’re giving up on the work you enjoy.

4 Likes

Fwiw you are far from alone. If I make it to die of old age, I will never forget the freedom I tasted or the feeling of paving my own way through this passion.

Its ok to be critical of yourself. This is how we grow. Too many don’t spend enough time in the mirror. Just make sure you acknowledge your accomplishments&achievements too. Give yourself credit.

Jeremy’s advice is very solid and unions will bring good pensions too. Sounds like you may not find this path fulfilling, but it could open other doors for you through providing meaningful income. So maybe it could be a stepping stone to running your own business if you can tuck it away.

Unfortunately, from where I sit, most of your listed interests would be a challenge to monetize. Except for the computer related stuff. I assume you don’t have any type of degree or certification just yet. This path seems to make the most sense to me by far out of your listed options. In the immediate term, you may be able to pick up some local repair&sales traffic. Sounds like you are pretty rural, which cuts both ways; less volume but also less competition which may work out for you. Long term, if you are willing to nearly perpetually go back to school, an IT related degree or cert seems like smart money; good investment in oneself.

Good luck man. It was an incredible challenge for me to shift my profession into a different field. But I find that I actually enjoy growing, processing etc as a hobby for myself, friends, fam more than I did when it put food on the table. Can make decisions more geared toward connoisseur and leave behind commercially driven deciding factors.

4 Likes

Screen Shot 2023-10-09 at 3.52.42 PM

Shawn@pharmaindustriessa.com

2 Likes

Hi guys! Shamefully reviving this post to ask if there’s anyone in Miami, FL (inside or outside of the industry) that could consider hiring me? This small town in GA doesn’t have much opportunity, so friends and family are suggesting I move back to where I grew up (Miami, FL) since I may have a better chance at finding a job worthy of my experience.

I sent a DM/email to the person above and never heard back, for the record. I’ve reached out to most of the folks here who came to this thread with an opportunity, but unfortunately most of those plans fell through, either from ghosting, being overqualified, or on my part having no interest in relocating on my own dime for entry-level roles (within extraction/cannabis. I’m very open to entry-level administrative roles outside of the cannabis industry). Also, I looked into labor unions in my area, and the closest ones are 2hrs away from me in Chattanooga, TN and Atlanta, GA which won’t be a feasible commute for me as most of the contracts are within those metropolitan areas.

I can understand if it seems my ego is too large and I should humble myself, but I’ve decided to put my foot down and fight tooth and nail to have my experience recognized. I am just that stubborn. :grin:

That being said, please reach out to me if you’d like an updated copy of my resume. I’ve been assisting with the family HVAC company as a remote project coordinator, and although it’s mostly been a volunteer role (I get free housing for this), I just want to be upfront and honest about that. I’ve also been assisting with projects around their new property, such as installing solar panels to provide 100% off-grid energy, renovating a cabin on the property (my current abode), building a new work shed for my mother, building a greenhouse, and planning out sustainable landscaping projects around the property (food forest, outdoor garden, natural pond, etc), with more projects to come. I’ve also been taking online courses to learn different skills that are in my areas of interest during this time (like the computer related stuff).

PS. If you’re a cannabis company in or around Miami, FL, consider Climate Pro AC for your HVAC needs! We aren’t looking for new clients, but if there are any cannabis companies in need of HVAC service, I can try to pull some strings. :wink:

Thank you for reading! No hard feelings if nothing comes from this :laughing:

4 Likes

Good Luck :crossed_fingers: Thank you for the heads up :+1:

1 Like

If you wanna give north florida a try ill have an open room for rent here soon. Theres lots of biotech here with positions where being handy is good. Its a rural area too.

5 Likes

I’m definitely open to it, albeit a lil nervous since I haven’t had roommates since 6 years ago :laughing: I appreciate the suggestion! Will cats be allowed? I have two very polite sisters.

Disregard the messy bed and unfinished walls hahaha

Although, understandable if not. As long as I can find a job, finding a rental shouldn’t be a problem for me. Biotech honestly sounds like a lot of fun, I just hope my cannabis exp isn’t stigmatized (it has been in GA so far). I’ll be looking into jobs in N. FL today!

7 Likes

i’ll take a look at your resume. austin@midsouthextracts.com we may need a extraction manager in missouri soon

9 Likes