Extraction beginner, teaspoon request

I’d avoid any refrigerant grade gas from what I saw.

Amine smells fishy.

2 Likes

Did somebody ask for a fishy Nevada analytical standard?

1 Like

If you’re not running submicron, you should use some celite or other high grade prewashed DE (not hardware store ant killer, that stuff has tons of submicron fines in it too). Be mindful though, if it channels or isn’t packed right, if you have your flow reverse even briefly because you open a valve to something with a higher pressure than the inlet side of the filter, you’re looking at rework to clean the dirt out.

One thing I will let you know is that isobutane boils at a lower temperature and produces a lot more pressure. You would probably need chilled tanks, and chilled tubes because when iso hits room temp tubes it produces pressure so if you’re not open blasting there will be extra pressure in there…
My experience with that was right after my stroke so I don’t recall all I was reading at the time….
Can anyone else chime in on this?
@Dred_pirate
You use iso, right?

1 Like

I even put 4 valves on my crc with a bypass and a prv. May as well attempt to do it right?

I used to use it. It doesn’t produce that much more pressure than N(normal) butane. But, at colder temperatures it will act more like propane(low yield and high terps). Which is what it’s made from, it is technically methyl propane. They took propane, added a carbon chain, taking it from c3h8 to c4h10. Having they same chemical structure as butane, but the shape of the molecules are different.

5 Likes

Ok well I can get cans but are they graded differently? Lighter refill grade is better then refrigerant grade? If there is no deliberately added adulterants is the purity any different? I will look for some food grade canned hydrocarbons

Yes thank you for your supply I was intending to run nitrogen assist from a dry ice slurry there is PRV installed on the unit I was intending to purchase

What you’re looking for is non odorized tane. Purity isn’t a good indicator because the ethyl mercaptan they use to make the gas smell like shit is like 25 ppm. Not saying you shouldn’t look for higher purity tane, just that unless you’re getting 5 log purity (99.999%), it could still be odorized

A bypass? That’s very interesting so you can bypass CRC and relieve pressure without venting to atmosphere if your CRC is blocked definitely something to consider thank you

1 Like

just use enough prefilters w paper fikters so that no powders ever see ur welded disk and u want have any troubles

By canned butane I mean whip it premium 420 ml cans or some other blue flame north sea butane. Distill it back into the solvent tank

BTW you need more than one prv. I have prv and gauge at any isolation points…so the collection pot , the tanks, and the columns

3 Likes

it can be used if it clogs. or if you do a hot loop to clean out the gas in your column. i copied the 1200 dollar crc from bvv. ive never used that loop but have it. mine has 4 swagelok valves which i linked to months ago for 45 each while aholes were calling me a cop. i forget but im pretty sure its under 600 to make it yourself

You’re fine with cans, just be aware that anything labeled “butane” is most likely to be a mix of propane, iso, and n-tane. Which isn’t bad necessarily, just remember it’ll have different vapor pressure compared to straight n-tane.

I used whipit premium for awhile. Not sure if that’s available where you’re at.

1 Like

What are you using nowadays if you don’t mind me asking?

I’m using 70/30 myself.

Hey thanks bud yes I was intending on using a staged filter stack with a 1um tampon above the sinthered disk

Yes sorry I understand what is being said about the cans the food grade comment was being cheeky I can get cans of nbutane, I was searching for larger tanks of non odorized nbutane but could only find the isobutane without ethyl mercaptan listed on MSDS contacted the supplier who confirmed it is non odorized searched the forum here found quiet a few positive comments about non blended iso being a good solvent for terps retention, the lower BP was not an issue as I was already considering nitrogen assist from DI so you know that’s why I mentioned it.
I understand what your all saying and why you are saying it your looking out for people trying to make sure they are safe thank you all
I will have a look at what can brands are available locally

Killas 2lb unit I believe has 3x PRV

2 Likes

whip it is a proper mix its like 60 20 20 or something close.

1 Like

I do like this idea thumper so the unit has a PRV on top of the column and the Dewax sleeve would be full of DI so if the CRC did clog I could vent the nitrogen pressure from above but would have to drain sleeve and heat to distill column back to tank which would be an absolute pain in the ass
A quick search for crc+clog brought up a few hits I’ll have to look thru seems like a common enough problem to maybe warrent a bypass cheers

I dint read through but its confusing in my drunen state. If the filter media gets clogged you can bypas the crc is the basis of what it is. I havent had it happen on media. ive had systems clogged in many ways and you will too. it helps to have lots of valve to contain each section. the only difference is a couple connectors valves a hose and a port on the hemi lid. but if the crc did freeze up without it i imagine its a huge pain.

1 Like

no if the crc clogs you give up on crc and just let the bho flow through the bypass. the prv is for an emergency and should never come in play.

Didn’t the tampon method end up leaving ultra fine fibers coming through, needing a deeper filter like 0.2 micron?

2 Likes