Extracting kief

The 545 bed is meant to filter carbon powder added to the etoh. Most people don’t use carbon in a filter cake. The carbon is more effective in the solution rather than a filter aid. The Celite bed most likely will be too fine for your first filtration.
Take it through something like a silk screen before going that fine. Think bubble bag type mesh in accending order. Then you can run a fast, medium, then slow filter. After that you can winterize. After winterization use a fast paper, re- winterize, continue further with finer fitration. After your satisfyed with wax removal you can do the carbon scrub, then filter through a Celite bed.

6 Likes

That sounds very much like “…wouldn’t be efficient”. :frowning:

Although it does leave wiggle room to optimize recovery time vs work shift I guess.

@EndlessOps so how did this work out?

can you share how it actually went down?
would you do it again?

1 Like

Get rid of synthetic fiber lolz! What an optimist!!!

You could just use my method to test a room for excessive and explosive vapor accumulation. Enter the room (with all cotton cloths) and carefully hold your big lighter high above your head and light it. Then holding the flame move it close to the floor where fume accumulates.

If the cotton clothing remains intact and with the same number of carbon molecules you started with after the Bic gets to the floor then the room is safe. If not, exit immediately… :fire::boom::comet::zap:

So far my lab has always tested safe.

P.S. you have seen my pro sewing gear from my embroidery business at home @cyclopath. If you are serious about protective clothing around solvents then let’s sew you up a shirt or apron(s) of Nomex and Kevlar. My machines can not only sew up cloths but we can embroider cool pot leaves too in Nomex thread? It would be nice to fire up the creative gear for a reason again.

7 Likes

so fire resistant gang hoodies are an option?

https://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/indura-ultra-soft-fire-resistant-hooded-sweatshirt-zip-front-with-hood.html

Optimist? I don’t get called that very often. :wink:

imo ditching synthetics to avoid static discharge is a reasonable precaution. as is making sure your equipment is bonded to ground. you need fuel, oxygen and an ignition source for combustion…I’d also suggest that an alcohol based flashover is more likely to be manageable if your clothing chars rather than melting and sticking to your skin. I agree it won’t help if you do something really stupid.

4 Likes

does nobody increase the rooms humidity that’s how they make explosives in an ordnance factory to dissipate electrical charge to avoid static discharges i increase humidity to safe levels then proceed

4 Likes

doh! :man_facepalming:

https://www.google.com/search?q=controlling+static+with+humidity

there is the part where both my liquor and my cannabis would prefer 40% RH, but if 55% RH is good enough to keep random acts of :zap: :zap: at bay then NPFA section 38 should probably spell that out for us.

4 Likes

why the f*ck they make this sound so easy lmao

" Normally you pack your column with buds. Dry ice hash, or trichomes, just get poured into a smaller column and run as normal."
http://hemphacker.com/the-missed-step-hash-oil-blowers-are-losing-time-and-money-on/
I questioned this technique but am trying for fun

2 Likes

really don’t believe the efficient claims but here’s to trying because i’m running out of shit to do …lol

2 Likes

I take it back I figured out how to make it pretty effective and I do believe efficient… this was first pass and I did the least amount of work yet it was all techniques

10 Likes

Just saying feeling like I nailed it… pretty fkn good

10 Likes

Are you using any adsorbents in your flask? looks cleeeeeeeean

2 Likes

zero… and thank you worked hard to perfect my new method everyone tells me is silly, lmfao wish I had a way to analyze my results this first pass clear is fire only adsorbant used was carbon over a celite filter bed. lol does not matter nobody believes me anyways wait till you see what i manage to wash out and clean up from the shaken biomass… to be continued…

7 Likes

Looks good🤪

1 Like

sup g lol is this who i think it is

1 Like

i am not the droid you are looking for

1 Like

Was this initially Kiev extracted with ethanol? What sop for kief extraction did you use?

Doesn’t dry ice produce THCA when putting it in the oil/solvent?

1 Like

Did I tell you it was silly?

Have you told us what you’re doing other than starting with the correct material (trichomes, where the stuff we want is…)?

I ask that genuinely…too much cannabis occasionally leaves gaps :shushing_face:

1 Like

Any one know what the saturation point of ethanol would be adding clean kief? Maybe a starting point, i.e. 1kg of kief to 10 gallons of ethanol?

1 Like