Extracting kief

doh! :man_facepalming:

https://www.google.com/search?q=controlling+static+with+humidity

there is the part where both my liquor and my cannabis would prefer 40% RH, but if 55% RH is good enough to keep random acts of :zap: :zap: at bay then NPFA section 38 should probably spell that out for us.

4 Likes

why the f*ck they make this sound so easy lmao

" Normally you pack your column with buds. Dry ice hash, or trichomes, just get poured into a smaller column and run as normal."
http://hemphacker.com/the-missed-step-hash-oil-blowers-are-losing-time-and-money-on/
I questioned this technique but am trying for fun

2 Likes

really don’t believe the efficient claims but here’s to trying because i’m running out of shit to do …lol

2 Likes

I take it back I figured out how to make it pretty effective and I do believe efficient… this was first pass and I did the least amount of work yet it was all techniques

10 Likes

Just saying feeling like I nailed it… pretty fkn good

10 Likes

Are you using any adsorbents in your flask? looks cleeeeeeeean

2 Likes

zero… and thank you worked hard to perfect my new method everyone tells me is silly, lmfao wish I had a way to analyze my results this first pass clear is fire only adsorbant used was carbon over a celite filter bed. lol does not matter nobody believes me anyways wait till you see what i manage to wash out and clean up from the shaken biomass… to be continued…

7 Likes

Looks good🤪

1 Like

sup g lol is this who i think it is

1 Like

i am not the droid you are looking for

1 Like

Was this initially Kiev extracted with ethanol? What sop for kief extraction did you use?

Doesn’t dry ice produce THCA when putting it in the oil/solvent?

1 Like

Did I tell you it was silly?

Have you told us what you’re doing other than starting with the correct material (trichomes, where the stuff we want is…)?

I ask that genuinely…too much cannabis occasionally leaves gaps :shushing_face:

1 Like

Any one know what the saturation point of ethanol would be adding clean kief? Maybe a starting point, i.e. 1kg of kief to 10 gallons of ethanol?

1 Like

Call kief 45-65% cannabinoids depending on how careful you are

2 Likes

I exhaustively extracted two different batches of kief.
The kief was produced using a roller in a freezer for 12 hours.
One batch contained 25.4% extractables and the other 30.2% extractables.
The leftover biomass was a fine powder like pollen that was not sticky and did not seem to contain anything useful.
The idea of using a kief roller as a pre concentration step to minimize the volume of biomass to be extracted is attractive but, in my experience, is not very efficient at recovering oleoresin.
Overall yield to oleoresin from as received biomass in these two experiments was 8.5 and 8.2 %.
This is from biomass that will yield ~12% oleoresin upon direct extraction.
Your results may vary…

3 Likes

Was the biomass tested before being kiefed? Why did the biomass het pulverized, was there DI inside the hopper? What size screen/mesh did you use? What was you temp inside if the freezer? Did you test or micro extract the spent biomass afterwards?

1 Like

I didn’t make the kief so I don’t have all the details here.
No DI so you might get a better yield than this with it.
Don’t know the screen size but the kief powder was quite fine and would easily go through a 150 mesh screen.
I didn’t exhaustively extract the exact same batches of biomass but this biomass usually yields about 12-13% total extractables in direct exhaustive extraction.
I did four extraction cycles on the kief and the last cycle resulted in a negligible yield of oleoresin.
I work at pretty small scale so my numbers aren’t the best.
But I hope others do some good work along these lines because this is an attractive process regardless of how you extract the kief.

3 Likes

Got you, so then you are right on target here. With your 8.5% yield on the kief and 1-5% being left behind with the biomass. That gives you your 12% yield by traditional extraction.
The reason you had such a high yield to start with was the screen size. At 150um mesh and pulverizing the biomass you brought plant matter along with the trichs.

4 Likes

I tested the kief/biomass that is collected on the vacuum filter for my grinder once and it came back as having 55% thc. But separating the bio mass from the trics was a failure using the screen sifting method. As the biomass was too fine and still ended up with the trics. Would the cold temp roller method work for that, do you know?