Extracting and winterizing while skipping the butane

I think your problem in getting a smokable product will come in the distillation phase and not the extraction phase.

Bucket tek can get you to crude, but you need distillate for a smokable product.

I certainly used to make huffable QWET’s…both before I started making hash professionally, and when the folks I was working with fumbled their hydrocarbon license. even used a PX1 to make some of them.

seen plenty loaded in carts too.

are they on par with hydrocarbon extracts? nope. but certainly usable, and even commercially viable in some markets (even now).

4 Likes

This is for personal use mainly. personal and maybe for some of my friends. i have so much trim that I’ve let accumulate so i need to do something with it and was hoping I could skip the butane as how much butane I will need to run all this will be like 4 cases of cans. I dont have a lab or any of that stuff. Just basic blasting gear and that’s it.

you absolutely can. although most come at it from the other direction (ethanol extraction first, because it’s safer).

there are many solvents you can use. including no solvent at all.

that is a primary reason folks move to closed loops…

I know I know, but I’m a small timer so that’s out of the question for now. maybe in the future.

Not necessarily. There is water in 95%, water in the “dried” plant material and the water you add…your choice….
No need for ice of any form, no real need for winterization and if your going after THCA and THC…you can get an amorphic crystalline with out distillation.

@EverettMarm …”Bucket tek can get you to crude, but you need distillate for a smokable product.”…that bucket doesn’t hold water.

The write up by the “Lost Biologist” is a classic. Everyone should give it a read.

7 Likes

Try this and if this is too much for you then just stick to buying it instead of trying to make it-

5 Likes

To be honest if your goal is to make something to just dab for personal use, and not use butane, you might as well just go the Rosin route imo… I have seen people make ethanol dabs with the most advanced sort of effort and many steps of refinement and still end up with something that doesn’t match most butane or rosin dabs one could go to the store and get. Ethanol is for large scale and good efficiency not for making a few grams of tasty dabs… just my experience from having seen so may operations at so many sizes.

9 Likes

Fair enough. I’ve just seen that most people don’t put the work into the preparation (solvent, temp, etc) in order to save in cleanup on the back end.

2 Likes

Well you were the one recommending distillation. IMO by the time you’re suggesting getting a distillation rig, it sounds like that’s already more equipment than this guy wants to spend money on since he called a close loop for home use out of the question. An old terpinator type rig is only $1000…

1 Like

Gotta agree.

You’re never gonna outshine a butane extract with a eho from the same material, and folks will absolutely pay more for good squish than good BHO (so they must consider it “better” right?).

Maybe some kind soul will link the worlds smallest bubble machine and its delicates washing progenitors.

4 Likes

CryoMass Technologies has Transformed the bubble machines.

A little big for this home users needs maybe?

2 Likes

2 Likes

I have a decent amount of trim I’ll be using. Probably making a few ounces of dab. If I just ran all the material with tane and left it in crude form it will definitely be 2-3 ozs.

I used to have a rosin press but I sold it because I never used it. I make concentrates from trim and rarely used flower. I would get good returns on the flower that I did squish, but I felt like it was a waste.

Just run whatever you make through a Zero or Brita water Filter from walmart, it will make make black into amber and if you use some of the tips given above it will turn your amber into gold :+1:

6 Likes

What the hell.

I’ve got a significant quantity of trim that I need to process.

11 grams of bho crude I have that’s just been sitting forever. Liquor stores are open today so I’ll be using this as a test run for winterizing. My buchner funnel gets here tomorrow.