Extracting and winterizing while skipping the butane

It’s looking much better. This is a little under 24 hours later. Still a long ways to go until it’s done purging but I’m optimistic.

2 Likes

This is right before the first flip. 24 hours of purging left. It’s looking damn good though. From it’s appearance here I don’t even see a need to winterize it. That was the whole point of this post, albeit worded incorrectly, because all my dab was coming out super waxy. I wish I would have known the “don’t mill it, it’s milled enough” so much dab wasted over the years.

Appreciate all the help and advice.

2 Likes

On a side note, in an attempt to salvage the 4 pounds of trim that I over-milled, I dry sifted it with my 220 bubblebag (I know 220 will let through plant material but I figured it will be far less than running the chopped up trim, and 220 was the only size I had) and now I have a mason jar full of kief. There’s still a good bit of green material in it though so what do I do with this? Do I blast this and buchner filter, or dissolve it in everclear and buchner filter? I’d like to do something with this if I can.

Yes but the final productt isnt as good imo

Juat extract with butane dry ice cold matwrial and all and you’ll winterize while extracting w butane basically

You’re gonna need to fluff that kief up or you’re gomma get clogged.

I’d strongly suggest doing a search and see what others have ran into with a kief run.

5 Likes

@jerryatrickus

here’s some highlights…with links back to the threads they came up in.

I liked the boiling Iso approach :wink:

edit: unfortunately that icmag link doesn’t work at this point :cry:

the thermos trick was one I learned from the @SkunkyFarmers, and the only time I’ve bothered using butane on kief.

chances are the input wasn’t much better than yours.
winterizing it would probably have helped given the 8-10hr soak at -2 or 3C.

processing similar material (“kief” from machine trimmer) with ethanol was never a favorite either.

2 Likes

For keif and butane the only 2 methods worth mentioning are either

A) put 20% keif and 80% biomass into the sock and run 10:1 w/70psi N2 push as per norm

Or

B) Put keif into a 4” spool with a dip tube & push tane into the dip, agitate and then let the sediment settle to the bottom and then slowly add enough cold tane to decant the top layer off thru a sight glass, repeat several times

This is finally done. I just left it in the vac chamber for days and days until all the bubbles went away. It definitely tastes cleaner than anything I’ve ever made up to this point, but it still tastes funny. I have no clue why that is. I’m open to any suggestions. I vape, could the clouds be making their way into the tent and tainting the material? I have an air filter on the intake of my tent though so idk. Could there be trace amounts of mold or pm I can’t see tainting it? I’m using whippit tane to blast, should I be using a different brand? Just trying to eliminate variables because I’m at a loss here.

Open blasting will only get you so far in terms of quality in the first place, but leaving your dabs under heat and vac for “days and days” is a good way to make weird tasting shatter, think about what else could be bubbling off besides butane :thinking: and if you’re content on open blasting I suggest getting activated charcoal and carbon mesh filter from the aquarium section, leave room at the bottom of each tube to place a tablespoon or 10% by weight of AC and a 1-2" vertical cut of the mesh filter befor adding you coffee filter(might want to use 4-5 coffe filters) then.run like normal, this will also work to increase quality of your milled biomass

1 Like

This batch didn’t get over 32c. I had to let it purge for days so the bubbles would disappear. I also don’t use coffee filters, I have a 50 micron stainless steel mesh that I clamp onto the tube and use that. I wouldn’t say I’m content open blasting, I just don’t have a closed loop.

Good luck with what youve told us I think you have a long way togo before you start to understand hlwhat it takes to make good concentrate

Yeah that’s why I’m here asking questions. After 48 hours of purging under vac at 32c, and it still smells and tastes taney, what do you propose I do? Just leave it like that?

If you can pull full vacuum on it at 32c with no bubbles it isn’t solvents you’re tasting. Likely contaminants in the raw material or the solvent of choice.

1 Like

It took quite awhile before all the bubbles subsided. After 48 hours there were still alot of bubbles in the patty but I decided to try some and it was still a little taney, so that’s why I put it back under vac.

If one is open blasting straight from the can of whipit or whatnot, all the mystery oil in the can goes into the tube. Some sticks to the biomass. Some winds up in the concentrate.

One could predistill their gas before extracting if they had a small closed loop. Many other advantages and points of control with a loop vs straight blastin.

5 Likes

Yeah shit sucks. I’m going to do some qwet tomorrow and see if that stuff still tastes funny and post my results once that’s done.

1 Like

Ok I’ve got some qwet drying right now. i also did a little run of some kief that I had and there was no weird tastes or flavors. Unfortunately because that kief was sifted from my overmilled biomass it was super green. I froze the solution for days and ran it through my buchner funnel with a #1 filter paper but I think that wasn’t small enough to filter out all the particulates. I ordered a .5 micron duda sheet to try to filter again. I have questions regarding AC, #1 is do i not need to worry about celite if I have the .5 micron sheet? And #2 how much will the AC help with any mystery oils in open blasted situations? I have some stuff that was already open blasted winterizing in my freezer right now, and I want to see if i can salvage it.

Also what charcoal do I buy? Do I just buy some food grade powder off Amazon? Or BVV charcoal?

this ^^
butane in a can is not as clean as distilled n-butane… which is what commercial processors extract with. so it’s likely that is the difference in taste you are noticing.

2 Likes

I’m starting to lean more towards the material has contaminants on it. (I live in the same place that I grow, so all the vaping and smoking and cooking might make it’s way past my tent air filter) The qwet I made with the kief had no weird tastes aside from the green taste because there’s alot of plant particulate in it. I also made some qwet with flower and that had a slight bit of the weird taste in it, but that might be from old crappy dab still stuck to my dabber tool that made its way into that particular hit I took. I have a bunch of filter media on the way that I’m going to try and we’ll see how that goes. The flower qwet I made smelled so fucking good, and it’s a crime that it doesn’t taste like it smells. This has turned into quite the trial.

I doubt it, unless you’re blowing clouds and cooking in your tent it’s not that.

You’re learning, it takes trial and effort lol.

I made a ton of boof learning

2 Likes