Extracted biomass will kill the fishies

We had some of our extracted biomass tested to determine if it was hazardous. They test to see if it’s ignitable, and if it’s water run off would kill the fish. We store our extracted biomass in plastic totes. After 10 days of being in the bin the hazardous waste tech couldn’t detect anymore butane in the waste. We thought if we separated our remediation adsorbents from the biomass that we would pass the test and only the adsorbents would fail. But we were wrong. All samples failed for both the fish kill and the ignite test.

2 Likes

Weird. Plants ignite. Huh who whoulda thought.
How does one ever pass the ignite test lol

These ones even. Strange. I have no idea what they do, they might not either. No one around here knows what to do with extracted biomass without us doing tests first :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Buy a pelletizer and sell it as either bare stock or burn it as heat. You can also pelletize it and use a incinerator with a radiator to heat your building.

4 Likes

Pelletize it and use it in a pellet grill lol. Hemp hamburgers and steaks lol. For the rest of your life

1 Like

LOL. Would it still work after we’re required to mix it with equal parts of other compostables?

1 Like

That’s actually how we buy trim and make sure it hasn’t been extracted before. Ignite it!

2 Likes

Lol. No

1 Like

Do you have recommendations for pressing pellets? My family is interested in doing this since we have a large barn to heat through Michigan winters. We were also wondering if people have tried adding any types of tar to help the biomass bind together.

Usually have to add water to get shredded plant material to pelletize. Industrial scale pellet making operations usually have a steam generator/conditioner to add moisture to the input material

Yes, use the wood shredding cage ontop a pellet ram that’s screw style. Use the ones for wood burning.

What exactly kills the fish?

That’s a good question. I’m assuming the butane since it’s in both the media and the biomass and both samples killed the fish…?