Explosion/ignition proof ventilation fan and ducts

I’ve been looking into explosion proof fans… With yours and @DubYouSee recommendations I’ll be getting an allegro. Thanks guys!

2 Likes

There the shit, it will take a straight stream of gas right into it

1 Like

How loud is it? Do you have to yell over it?

1 Like

I’d wager quieter then an explosion :wink:

8 Likes

The 20” I have is definitely loud and I only have it running when I’m evacuating or see a leak or something. My friend keeps his on all the time but it would drive me nuts.

1 Like

I eun a small one with the ducting ending in front of a big one. Small is quiet but big is kinda loud but i will take ear plugs over skin graphs so there’s that

1 Like

That’s why I was asking. Wasn’t sure if it was one you could just run regularly or emergencies only

1 Like

Here’s a little demo of the sound

3 Likes

Yeah I figured it’d be on the louder side. They all are. Some sound like a jet engine, some are bearable.

1 Like

How does that gas detector work, are they pricey? a diy way would be nice

I posted a sensor that had a relay built into it in another thread give me a second and I’ll edit the link into this post
Edit: link promised Gas detection sensor CO2 CO H2 Methane Butane Propane monitor

3 Likes

I like this one, been using it for 5 years no issues

the macurco GD-6
can set it up to trigger your fan and can make it as sensitive as you want .

only around $360 . but peace of mind is priceless

6 Likes

Ohhhh :heart_eyes:

I’ve been doing a lot of reading on this and noticed this on graywolfs new site 12.1 Extraction Booth and Ventilation System Design - GrayWolf's Lair

"Some regulations are also written as 100 CFM per square foot of area, so how do those compare.

An Extraction booth 8’ deep X 7’ wide x 8’ tall would require 5600 CFM (8 X 7 X 100sf) for the first, and the latter would require 5600 CFM (7 X 8 X 100)"

1 Like

It’s done by cubic feet. I found this chart that helps. https://www.wctproducts.com/spec_sheets/ventilation-chart.pdf

1 Like

What do you set the macurco gd-6 gas that it’s detecting for the lower explosive limit to? I see it defaults to methane but there’s also an option for propane and hydrogen. We’re using 70:30 butane to propane gas mix so I’d imagine we’d switch it to propane but I’m not totally sure.

I’ve got an 8” Explosion Proof RamFan 980cfm used available in san jose, ca

Vevor.com sells them cheap
And ducting if metal needs grounded or they have anti staic ducting as well. Cheapest iv seen