Expert needed for spore extraction

I’m seeking a individual or group who can help us potentially extract any possible remaining spores on a truffle sample which only has a 0.25g material.

This has nothing related to Psilocybin.

2 Likes

Presumably you also don’t want to “extract” said spores…but actually harvest them for propagation?!?

I’ve got a buddy here in Eugene who has done some spectacular things with fungi. Hit me up in the DM if you’d like to contribute to his college fund.

12 Likes

I second @cyclopath’s recommendation. He’s a truly spectacular human!

5 Likes

Forgive my ignorance yes we need to harvest any potential spores left so we can continue to grow.

Cant u just take a tissue sample from inside and grow it on agar?

2 Likes

yeah why dont you just take a tiny spec and put it to a simple malt extract agar mix? is it fresh? that may be your limiting factor there,.

@CannaBotanist

Thoughts?

2 Likes

Assuming you mean regular black or white type truffles, here’s a good link that I was reading up on. You apparently have to infect trees with the truffle fungus. These people use what they call the Talon Method: The Talon Method (canterburytruffles.com)

1 Like

Also the material was dried into a powder and properly stored. I’m not trying to be elusive but we can shortly discuss more.

That want work with dried fruit.
I’m not saying you cant get spores from your powdered up fungi. I’m saying it sounds damn near impossible. Spoe prints taken correctly, we worry about contamination. Spores powdered up with fungi, good luck staying clean enough or even close to sterile.

4 Likes

These are truffles though and to my knowledge they retain their spores inside and are viable much longer than fruits for getting spores due to that trait.

2 Likes

I appreciate all the feedback which is why I love this community. I am personally not verse in the science I just make this business and logistics happen. I posted here and going to on upwork as well as reach out to recommend people posted on this thread.

Pulling it under a microscope will show if there is spore as the structure it forms is easily identifiable.

To my understanding thesk8midget I believe you’re correct.

My goal here is to identify if present and from there can it be harvested.

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

3 Likes

You know even if I’m wrong why antagonize?. Someone is going to get paid for this job if it works or not.

I take it all avenues to have a non powdered option to pull from have been tried?

1 Like

Nobody is antagonizing you.
@thesk8nmidget refered to your fruit as whole, I was just pulling very important info out of your statement. Makes a huge difference, you know.

3 Likes

I missed that part. It’s a critical point too.

2 Likes

Lol i missed that part too. My bad

Yeah man you’re shit out of luck.

Assuming these are tamps or galindoi you can’t get any spores from the truffle that’s been dried and ground.

The way to collect spores from sclerotia producers are to actually fruit out the jar after you harvest the sclerotia. Once the culture fruits, take a spore print of it.

You can take tissue samples and plate it to agar but the fruit needs to be hydrated and fresh.

3 Likes

The only solution I could think of would be to put the powder on a bunch of agar dishes and hope one has minimal contamination, then take that and rinse and repeat. It would probably be easier to just purchase some spores or culture from a reputable source. But I have no clue how to grow truffles so pretty uneducated guess :man_shrugging: