Experienced Extractor Looking for Work

Hello,

I am an experienced extraction manager looking for new work. I have a graduate degree in Chemistry and 5+ years in both extraction and lab testing. I have run and design facilities producing many kilos/day distillate. My biggest specialty is wiped film (up to 99% cannabinoids on first pass) and the setup of large facilities, as well as HPLC/GC. Based in OR currently with OLCC worker permit, but willing to relocate. DM me for more specific information.

3 Likes

Wow 99 on first pass? Please share. Is short path worthless? Is wfe better when it comes to purity?

1 Like

I have my doubts as well, was waiting for the day to press on and more people to be on.

If @MagisterChemist is reliably getting 99% on first pass he/she might as well be the goose that laid the golden egg.

That bit of satire is associated with the fact that Iā€™m genuinely in complete disbelief that this is possible. I would absolutely love to be proven wrong.

10 Likes

Are you willing to relocate to Southern California ?

I always thought that wiped film is faster than SPD but cannot separate as well as a smaller SPD setup. Im sure that the pre/post processing has a lot to do with getting 99% on the first pass, but even that is a bit unbelievable.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s the general consensus.

Let me clarify a little bit. I said up to 99%. I do hit 99% on some batches first pass and I have test results to document it. But a more typical range might be 93+. Secondly that is total cannabinoids not 99% THC. Hitting 99% is a combination running fresh undegraded material for the crude and certain pre-processing.

3 Likes

What type of crude? As in, CO2, BHO, etc.

Iā€™ve done this with BHO and Ethanol. Havenā€™t run much CO2.

can you explain the benefits of fresh material? I always figured since Iā€™m gonna decarb anyway and Iā€™m isolating thc or CBD, any degradation that happens from sitting in trash bags for a year doesnā€™t really affect the molecule. Especially when thc is shielded under a layer of waxes and terpenes.

Iā€™m curious, not attacking you

Fair enough, I can see that with well extracted cryo etoh or butane oil. It just seems like a big claim when some people struggle to get 80% with badly extracted crude.

I donā€™t know what to tell those people who are having those problems reaching 80% without knowing their practices but I would suspect their pre-processing is inadequate. No reason anyone should be getting under 85% first pass even with old material.

On the issue of fresh material, I admit I do not know the exact cause myself. It is just a consistent pattern iā€™ve observed. My speculation is that components degrade not only into CBN but also into things that are not on the standard test panel, and subsequently turn up as ā€œmissingā€ percentages in HPLC potency test.

8 Likes

Trust me when I say, the issue lies in everything else thatā€™s pulled via warm etoh or CO2 thatā€™s pushed too far into the supercritical range. I currently only have experience processing CO2 crude, and if not done properly, regardless of post processing, it can be very difficult to get 90% tested for cannabinoids. Thereā€™s a lot of isomerization that can happen as a result of acids pulled from the biomass, so regardless of how well ran or how many passes you run on the material, mystery peaks keep the numbers low.

I apologize if Iā€™ve come off as abrasive, I just wanted to understand if and how it was possible. This makes me pretty excited about my switch to hydrocarbon closed loop later this year.

1 Like

What iā€™m saying isnā€™t old/bad crude vs cryo crude. It is material harvested this year vs been in turkey bags for two years. I can run both on the exact same extraction method and get a better wiped film result on the former. And my result from the later isnā€™t bad. I can still get 93+. Just not 99.

Yes I would be open to that. DM me please.

You are experiencing isomerization when you use older product that has sat in a bag for a year. You need to isomerize it again to make it a more pallatable form again. THC isomerizes to CBN which can isomerize again to Delta 9-thc.

2 Likes

May I ask how you isomerize cbn to thc?

6 Likes

Iā€™m with you. Iā€™ve distilled on short path, spinning band, and wiped film. Also worked with ethanol, CO2, and various hydrocarbon blend crude. Getting 99% cannabinoids on first pass is highly unrealistic. Unless you have tons of pre-processing SOPā€™s and are willing to accept horrendous losses. Between cost of pre-processing, time involved with procedures, and low yields, ā€œthatā€™s gonna be a ā€˜noā€™ for me dawgā€.

Are you interested in some consulting work?

I have access to all my test results for every extract I make and can pull up any run in the past 11-10 months right now and post them. I want to see these unicorn jizz disty results

3 Likes