Expanding my op in Michigan, suggestions for my grow

So I just acquired a property that has a home and a 30x50 pole barn/garage that has running water and electric. I would like some suggestions as far as set up, automation, irrigation, ventilation, insulation that sort of thing. Some things to consider is our limit is 72 plants, there is a house with two rooms in the house if additional space is needed. My main concern is controlling the temp and humidity. I have a hvac guy hooking up a ac and a furnace running off of propane and can include specs tomorrow. Just looking to you guys for suggestions. Thanks

1 Like

Seems like the cultivation side of the site is very quiet, surprised no one replied here… I’m curious to see how things are going for you. What hvac unit did you end up going with and how are you dealing with outside winter temps while running the unit. I have a Excel Air stealth unit and absolutely love it. Runs smooth down to 10-15deg outside temps then I start seeing reduced cooling… You running dirt, coco or hydro?

Some ppl build a box around the condenser outside to keep a bit of warmth. NOT fully enclosing it, kinda like a dog house of sorts.

Fellow michigander here

3 Likes

It is very hard to maintain humidity during Michigan winter.

2 Likes

I’ve spoken to a guy who has done the same but doesn’t that effect the efficiency of the unit? When I spoke with Excel about this they told me there can’t be any obstructions a certain distance above the condenser fan. I’m on a flip flop so the night temps during winter sometimes get me. Anything below 10deg outside and the condenser fan will continuously cycle causing me to have to kill the lights on really cold nights. Last winter I experimented with wrapping the condenser with seran wrap to help keep heat in and it totally worked.

A humidifier on a master green house controller is key. I follow VDP in veg and clone rooms. Flower room I could care less as long as the rh is below 60% wks 1-5, then 50% rh tops.

Most invertor type can work as low as 5*f as it stands.

3 Likes

Make your job as easy as possible because maintaining 72 plants for a person or two is alot of work. Automate watering, Plan out ahead of time and try not to build around the plants, Build before the plants. Working in a tight space is stressful. Your plants can feel your stress and if you tend to them unhappy and stressful they will reflect the same. Work your ass off but work so hard the ass stays on the plants, Weird analogy but the point is there.

2 Likes

VPD is key. :ok_hand:

2 Likes

72 Plants is NOT alot of work. You could easily hand water, and do all of your daily tasks in under an hour a day. I would set up a dedicated veg room wherever you have space, to feed your larger bloom room. I would go hydro because its going to maximize your yield and its going to cut down on your veg time. You could even split your space into 2 blooms and stagger a cycle so you have a harvest every month. As far as the humidity / temp is concerned insulate with rtech and get a good heater / ac. Also if your worried about cold, run your lights at night so you get the heat from them during the coldest part of the day. Hmu if you need anymore info.

Aquafog

1 Like

72 plants is easy peasy. Add in extractions, trimming side work, and family all by yourself. Now that’s a lot of work.

I simple 40.00 homedep0t humidifier works great. I use 2 of thwm

2 Likes