Excise Tax on Pure Ethanol?

Hello all!

Tried looking around the site using the search, only found little snippets in other threads on this topic. Figured we all have some stake in this so I was curious to ask the question:

I’ve noticed that in our procurement of ethanol, one of the largest costs associated is the excise tax on pure ethanol (fuckin’ gubmint!). I’ve been informed by a number of people that there are permits that could be acquired which exempt a business from paying this excise tax. The excise tax is (as it has been described) as a “sin-tax” levied on users of pure alcohol as it is assumed it will be used for the production of alcoholic beverages. However under the TTB’s guidance for “Tax-Free Alcohol Applicants” it specifically states,

Tax-Free alcohol may not be used in the
manufacture of any product which will be sold or in
any product resulting from the use of tax-free
alcohol which will be sold. Hospitals, sanitariums,
or clinics may, however, make a separate charge
for medicines compounded on the premises and
dispensed to patients for use on the premises.

This being the case, I’m still aware that a number of cannabis/hemp processors are acquiring permits that exempt them from this tax. Could anyone shed some light on what particular permit that is (if the “Tax-Free” permit isn’t viable)?

1 Like

Hey Trenkos,

I’ve done some digging into this, and I believe the exemption only applies to non-profit organizations, or medical facilities for cleaning purposes. The better route would be to claim a drawback, by showing that your product being produced is unfit for beverage usage, or non-alcoholic. If the TTB agrees, and the application process is followed through, it would entail a refund of the taxes paid to the tune of all but $1 per proof gallon. So paying $26 a gallon in tax ($13.50 a proof gallon) would be a $25 refund. Hope this helps!

1 Like

Hey SPDaddy (love the name btw lol :laughing:)

So it seems like based of your reply I have an accurate picture of the situation. If what you said is the case (which I have no reason to believe otherwise from my own personal research) how does one begin the process of formally claiming a drawback? Is it something you’d pursue come tax-time at the end of the year? Right after purchase? What forms would one need to fill out?

26 USC 5114

27 CFR part 17

1 Like

Thank you very much for taking the time to get me these references. Time to do a bit of reading!

@Trenkos I think it is definitely worth applying for. I’m in the same boat right now. My biggest concern is that one of the questions on the TTB application form asks a yes/no question if the ethanol will be used to create a product from which a profit will be made. I fear that a yes answer = no drawback. But in my state the hemp program has been very clearly created as an “Industrial Hemp Research Pilot Program.” We even have to submit yearly research results to the state. So, it is technically research, but we will profit. Very confusing situation.

1 Like

Thanks lol.

I would say you do as well. I have not personally filed yet, it is a work in progress with our higher-ups. The TTB has a guideline on their website for how to claim.

I believe you must first fill out the formulation forms for each product that uses Ethanol in its production, and then there are a few inventory/accounting forms. I think you can either file monthly, or quarterly, for Ethanol used 6 months prior to the claim. Most of the information is spelled out on those links. I have noticed that getting all the forms from the TTB.gov site can be tricky as some of the links were broken, at least when I tried to access them. However, a quick google search of each form number will give you what you need.

I am guessing that the heptane denatured ethanol that is popular would not work for your application?

Hey Midsfactory,

I COULD use it, but there are a number of technical considerations that would make non-denatured EtOH more desirable than denatured. I’m really just doing the cost/benefit analysis on both to find a good balance between extraction dynamics/quality on our equipment vs associated costs.

doh!

@SPDaddy has already pointed out that it’s not the tax-free ethanol we’re looking for, but the mechanism for requesting all but $per gallon back.

figured while I was fixing broken links I post them on related threads.

no need here…

1 Like

I know this thread is super old, but SWIM just received a great email from the TTB (Alcohol & Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau) regarding “drawback” on alcohol tax from hemp processing.

You have expressed interest in using alcohol to make extractions from hemp.

We must consider if your intended operation will be allowable under federal law.

For processes that require undenatured industrial alcohol, Industry Member’s producing a federally allowed product generally will purchase that alcohol taxpaid from an approved Distilled Spirits Plant and will need no TTB approval. As discussed in Title 27, Code of Federal Regulations, Part 17, if using an approved formula the Industry Member may file a claim with TTB to recover much of the tax that was paid on the purchased alcohol.

The 2018 Farm Bill amended the definition of marijuana under the Controlled Substances Act (CSA), 21 U.S.C. § 802(16), to exempt “hemp,” which is defined in section 10113 as follows:

“The term ‘hemp’ means the plant Cannabis sativa L. and any part of that plant, including the seeds thereof and all derivatives, extracts, cannabinoids, isomers, acids, salts, and salts of isomers, whether growing or not, with a delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol concentration of not more than 0.3 percent on a dry weight basis.”

TTB understands this to mean that extracts containing CBD, as long as they do not contain more than 0.3% THC, have been exempted from the CSA. However, the law explicitly preserved FDA’s authority to regulate products containing cannabis or cannabis-derived compounds under the Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (FD&C Act). After enactment of the 2018 Farm Bill, FDA Commissioner Scott Gottlieb, M.D., issued a statement noting that it remains unlawful under section 301(ll) of the FD&C Act to introduce or deliver for introduction into interstate commerce any food to which CBD or THC has been added. FDA also updated its website to include FDA Regulation of Cannabis and Cannabis-Derived Products: Questions and Answers. Among other things, the updated Questions and Answers explicitly state that THC and CBD products may be sold neither as dietary supplements, nor in interstate commerce as food.

TTB Regulation 27 CFR 17.136, Compliance with Food and Drug Administration requirements, establishes that a product is not a medicine, medicinal preparation, food product, flavor, flavoring extract, or perfume (in other words, not an eligible nonbeverage product) if its formula would violate a ban or restriction of the FDA. Section 17.137 states that a formula may be disapproved for drawback either because it is fit for beverage purposes or because it is “neither a medicine, a medicinal preparation, a food product, a flavor, a flavoring extract, nor a perfume.”

TTB’s current view is that CBD oil is subject to such a ban or restriction by the FDA and TTB is not approving such products for drawback. You should contact FDA if you have questions regarding the regulatory status of your product. If you were able to provide a written determination from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) indicating that the intended use of cannabidiol (CBD) is in compliance with the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act, that could potentially affect our position on drawback.

4 Likes

Bother!!

I guess that was to be expected…