Examples of Why a Civil Forum is a Good Idea

Youre next on the list bud. You’ve made quite a few friends here lately

8 Likes

ok bud!

2 Likes
1 Like

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

7 Likes

stop…he might start saying all you smoke is mids and swim in piss and shit… Might offend you… LOL

6 Likes

All input is appreciated, so I will take posts in order. sorry if this turns into a paragraph, but what you guys are calling a problem, and to the very few who suggested some options, I have the following to say:

This is the EC. That is the entire point of that category, to contain all the garbage. When flags get moderated they end up there. People have taken it’s existence as a reflection of what we are about, when it was simply supposed to be a garbage can. It is hidden by default, you have to try to end up there. If you find yourself there we leave plenty of exits like hiding entire categories.

As it sits you get a few warnings, your comments moved to the EC, but our threshold for kicking someone out is pretty high. The hard part is no one can really draw a line, each case is different and witch hunts are real. This place is relatively ‘cancel culture resistant’.

This might be the most accurate comment in the whole thread, and the reason we are so open.

Ban @Curious_Roberto ? I didn’t put that in italics for a reason. He derailed a thread about the problem we have on derailing threads. No one called him out, he got 3 likes, no flags.
Sidco shakes the internet in frustration

No flags

You’ve brought this up a few times, and have enough thought into it you might propose a rule. if so, what would the rule and consequences be for trolling?

@Rowan is probably closest to getting silenced, and has been silenced before. Anyone should look at his post history as a case study for ‘should this be allowed or not’.

Yes, forums and IBs, so let me address your points.

I think it has worked splendidly, If 95% of the shit goes to EC or gets removed and you smell 5% of regulars interrupting, that is not a moderation issue, that is a community issue. Our Regulars and Leaders should be directing the group, but it is clear they are not so now you want to instead

We both know the technical ability of a troll is endless. The average user takes a warning or two just fine.

You and I both know they have no qualms censoring things they don’t like. It’s not a free speech platform.

Who is them? Name some accounts specifically of ‘thems’ youd want banned to never return. Specific accounts. list em. I prompted earlier about @rowan as a case study.

people are more comfy in DMs. Bringing completely new fresh untested science to the table without much results, even if you have a breakthrough method, is going to be and should be open for ridiculing, no? at least when they figure it out in DM there, bringing it to the forum is a priority, or at least they’re already here.

100% agree. Slow times cause more talking, and its easy to slip there without noticing. Quiet server for quiet times isn’t a problem with me, but it makes bored people.

I unsilenced Longnameguy :roll_eyes: Sometimes you gotta just let people shoot themselves in the foot, but they should be held to their word and eat crow, not by forced moderation.
This thread is so damn meta.

I get a kickback?

If 1 person makes a help me thread about it, chances are someone else has the same issue Moving the science into DMs, especially for spoons, seems backwards to me.

Anyone is welcome to bring the meta or off topic chat to our Future4200 Live Chat and encourage anyone who wants to talks off topic to join as well. We also are starting an invite only science room, just request an invite once you join chat.
Some users are adamant other users shouldn’t be here. I see that coming from mostly personal reasons, and not exactly scientific.

Tolerant of intolerance. It’s a sticky subject. Every post has a place, lets work to make sure they all get to their right place.

It can be argued responses like this are exactly what people are complaining about. All in good fun but productive? Nope.

16 Likes

This is good stuff right here!

7 Likes

I think this :arrow_up: is the
unfortunate consequence
of this :arrow_down:

4 Likes

Nah. Jed wants data logging…

if you don’t sensor you don’t know shit :wink:

(this is why nobody invites me)

12 Likes

but like you said when i brought up racial imagery and you said while i might not like it… Lets not censor anything here.

While its not productive… neither are a ton of the threads here. This is a community… There are jobs in a community and places to have fun in a comminity… its not just one way.

While im not a fan of the swastikas and the stance you took… I understand your point of view and respect the decision you made to leave these images on here… Lets keep this place free… lets remove the illegal stuff when it comes up and let the rest ride!

4 Likes

or they only posted a picture of a TLC instead of a CoA from @kcalabs :sob::sob: /s

5 Likes

That entire thread reads like you trolling people, but it could just you coming off as a little offended or defensive. Internet tone is hard, I know I struggle. It’s in the EC now. I honestly don’t know what you want here. You would have called out the same practices from other users.

3 Likes

That thread had nothing to share tho… it was an advertisement that couldn’t back up its claims

2 Likes

The true solution…IMO…to this would be for Future to bring 2 pairs of boxing gloves to the GLG events so that we can let people hash it out there rather than on here. Ppl might think twice about trolling if there’s an end result

13 Likes

Add it to the fine print on the entry waivers
Good food good hash good fights

8 Likes

It would be an amazing event

3 Likes

@Hansel vs @hanselll

4 Likes

'twas but a joke. edited for clarity

If there are gloves, I’ll show up under an anonymous username just to box and get some energy out. It’s been 16 years…and I’m ready to get that energy out.

#Derailpost

5 Likes

Don’t feel bad buddy…I haven’t been invited either lol

3 Likes