Evenly Mix Terps + Distillate

So we need the mechanical rotor-stator type Correct?
Can you do one L at a time with these small $200 units? Am I going to need a commercial one for large batches 10-20L at a time?

THIS! Just make sure it’s 110v. It’s all white and comes with the shaft and cleaning flasks. It’s 139ish like @cyclopath said and they’re brand new. They’re on amazon too but like $20 -$50 more expensive. They’re only good for 100ml batches max! Anything more than that and you need to drop 2k on a CAT

2 Likes

No worries. Just return the cutlery (help someone else out) when you get the chance.

It might seem overwhelming right now, but almost everything you need can be found laying around here.

Search queries can be a bitch if you’re unfamiliar with the territory…but upping your googlefu is a great way upping any game imo

@WonderfulXTracts: yes, you want the mechanical rotor/stator flavor for this trick. As far as the capabilities of the cheap ones, I have no experience with them.

I’ve used/abused both the polytron and the tissuemizer and they have been around for years

3 Likes

110v High Speed Dispersion Homogenizer Fsh-2a Lab Mixer 10 1000ml US for sale online | eBay would this work for testing purposes/ making batches of 100ml? Is this plug and play? I would just line up my 125/250ml (only filled to 100ml) Pyrex jar https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084T4WNC2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_EaV0EbZ55BN94 and turn on then wait 5-10mins? I want to make sure I don’t need to purchase an extra rotar or anything of that sort.

1 Like

basically. except instructions list duty cycle of “< 5min”, so leaving it running for 10min probably won’t make it happy. it looks to be complete. assuming 110V is what comes out of your wall sockets, the unit pictured does seem about as effective as you’re going to get for that price.

If you need confirmation that this particular critter will actually perform the task at hand, you’ll need to wait for someone who has actually used it to raise their hand (because I have not).

@Kinsmanofthesun seems to have experience with them, and @qma has probably seen them abused (and killed) in numbers.

100ml or even 250ml seems appropriate.

3 Likes

is that because working with less volume is a pain in the ass?

1 Like

also thanks to @cyclopath and @Kinsmanofthesun I was going to drop 1k on the CAT or whatever they are called now so you guys just saved me 900 bucks!

probably depends on how quickly you kill it…

1 Like

Dependent on if you want to scale. Manning the mixer takes actual labor, so a 10 batch run will be brutal, no matter how fast you are

2 Likes

lol very good point

always better to plan for success than failure. Is it correct that the rotor is what limits volume more than the motor? I was under the impression from looking at CAT website you could upgrade the rotor and do more volume

The cat 100 ml rotor (t shaft?) is no good at processing distillate. The g20 shaft can do 100ml if you use a tiny cup

2 Likes

I’ve owned two. Buy extra probes from the seller, message them directly. The probe tips are soft and bend easily and may need to be realigned. Clean the disassembled probes with parts cleaner or degreaser the simple green before you use them, they’re covered in tapping oil. Lube the delrin bushings with mct when reassembling the probes and do not under or over tighten. Make sure the probes are seated completely before you start.

They rattle and buzz and you should loctite what you can. One unit sent two screws into a batch.

These can handle MAX 100ml distillate and roughly 500ml-ish tincture with the larger probe.

Bottom line these suck for anything serious but if you have any mechanical sense and patience they’ll get you to the next level.

3 Likes

The lil ole eBay homogenizer has lasted me a year. I just DO NOT push it past 100g! I use it for tinctures too. Have had no issues with separation. Just gotta listen to her and treat her with love, respect, and understanding that she is what she is. She love me long time.

That being said, I just got an x1000. It has been swell. Tore through some tinctures. A lil o this, all lil o that. A homie of mine with one suggested I make some mayonnaise. Gonna whiz some up soon!

3 Likes

Yea that’s it. Heat to 90c (just upped to this heat after a suggestion from a reputable source :wink: ) and dump your terps in off heat. Then homogenize for 4minutes for 100g. Place on a heat plate to raise out bubbles, fill carts, and enjoy your cbdeezy steez.

This being said. I got mine before a bazillion other guys were making these. There were a couple, but not like now. I cannot say that there are t some garbage units out there. Maybe not go with the cheapest one? Or maybe it’s all the same. Only China knows…

3 Likes

How are you able to heat up distillate? I’m wondering if there’s a better method to use than my current of sitting the jar in front of a room heater and on top of a hot plate. I have a heat gun to constantly check temperatures but I’d like to know if there’s a more concrete way of getting temps to that level evenly.

Throw it in a oven for a few hrs. Easy to control temps. Some residential kitchen ovens go down to 170f if you don’t have a vac oven available.

1 Like

Microwave. Short bursts

…and “short burts” does not mean 2min!!!

How small should the cup be if I’m using g20 shaft?