Evaporative cooling for dewax

@Apothecary36, instead of clogging up homie’s thread, if you don’t mind I’d like to start a new post about this.

Again, I’ve noticed you mention this a few times and I’d like to pick your brain.

So, for this, of you’re trying to get shit to precipitate out, so no warming the collection pot right?

Then for a small guy like me, I’d keep my recovery in dry ice, and have a dry ice slurry and coil?

Then since the recovery is the coldest area, the solvents will wanna move there? Sucking energy from the collection pot, cooling it off more and causing the fats and waxes to drop out?

Sorry for the long post, but I’ve always wondered about this since I’ve seen you mention it.

2 Likes

This is the only thing u have to control to get the crashing to happen. Once your solution creeps closer to being saturated you will see the crash happen.

You’re gonna want a drain port or a liquid dip tube on your collection. Use that drain port to move the fatty liquid through a wide column of alumina. You should use a low psi of nitrogen to move the liquid through the alumina. This has to be done quick as the butane will redissolve fats as the pressure increases

2 Likes

You could also transfer your solution to a larger column with filtration. Recover from the top until fats have dropped out, then push to collection and recover.

8 Likes

The hard part is to not get the thca and fats to crash out together which they will in butane.

I have an idea that if we preload a media like alumina or UltraClear with the solution and precipitate out and then reheat back to normal. Will the media hold on to the fats so that we can keep our thca?

4 Likes

Wouldn’t u want the tank in slurry and keep adding dry ice to really drop the temp

Then coil in dry ice only…cold to colder

The only way to drop fats in butane is to have it in full amount of butane like 10:1 butane to material, chill the 10lbs and the fats will drop…evaporateit down probably past 5 lbs or more and thc drops…once u evaporate some then the thc wants to fall also

2 Likes

I think it will drop out thca first since it’s what’s more concentrated in the solution

I haven’t seen bentonite or attapulgite clays hold on to thca really which makes me think this trick will work

4 Likes

right so I said don’t evaporate any butane then it works like 2nd stage true dewax…don’t evaporate any set it in dry ice…idk how ud filter them off without true dewax column though

I really don’t understand where he’s going w this though…went from using a coil to get faster recovery to dealing

@Curious_Roberto ue system is so small a dewax column open jacket filled w dry ice…dry ice freeze material before loading it into it…fill jacket w dry ice already has solvent tank dry ice cold and blast dry ice cold solvent over this and u won’t have any issues…no fats…ur system is so small u can keep it frozen

I could dewax like this on a hot day with just a recovery pump. No dry ice…

That’s where this method really comes in handy, on large scale where cooling with dry ice is a large task.

2 Likes

If possible it would be best to avoid picking up fats. I’ve had success with this by passing solvent fast through the biomass into a buffer tank. If the solvent sits in the material it will pick up fats

3 Likes

I have found even at -70c, fats will drop out. Certain strains have far more than others. Gelato being a culprit with being a fatty bitch.

Also, staging your dewaxing prevents as much thca dropping out as you’re keeping your solution mobile and not in one place. While you’re cooling with evap, add more butane to keep the solution high and prevent it from not being saturated enough, even though the fats will drop out easier with a lower ratio of butane, but so will thca.

Gelato fats dropped out prior to the media, next to an unused crc with media. I want to get em tested and see what’s all in there.

9 Likes

I’m going threw the same thing right now with hexane and heptane

From what I’ve seen the fats and lipids will coagulate out first then the cannabinoids will, cannabinoids are much more soluble in hydro carbons then fats and lipids are so they’ll fall out first

I’ve actually been trying to figure out what some of these waxes actually are and from my testing they’re not the typical plant waxes we see

4 Likes

Cutin. Polymerized fatty acids.

5 Likes

Loving this thread glad it happened

4 Likes

I dont think so

Based on the MS they come out early, a polymer would be large and come out later

https://www.sigmaaldrich.com/US/en/product/supelco/49452-u?context=product

Here’s the standard I had KCA run on MS for me against my sample, non popped

1 Like

I can crash thc out of methanol and water by pulling a hard vac

3 Likes

How do you think they make t free?

Methanol and water for the solvent system

1 Like

Interesting. I first noticed it when doing buchner filtration and I’d get a honey oil crash in the collection flask

1 Like

Youre adding a ton of water im guessing?

Or you’re really concentrated like under 4:1 (solvent to cannabinoids) I’m guessing?

I dont add any water its just natural atmospheric winter time humidity. Also the hard vac creates a condensation point for new water to land on out if the atmosphere. As well as a cold solution to cause more crash. Methanol gets surprisingly cold under hard vac

3 Likes

hez got such small rig its smarter to never pick them up in beginning… freeze everything w dry ice and blast fast

2 Likes