Evaporation proof EtOH?

Correct. Runny oil had post winterization filtration of 1/4" Celite 545 disk under AC at room temp.

Dang. Here’s what I can suggest

1. get residual solvent testing so you are certain that there is no ethanol in there
  2. take some of your liquidy oil, add 6 parts ethanol, try winterizing (again, I know) over a weekend. If there are waxes present they can hinder crystallization and thin out the extract
1 Like

Will do!

I appreciate the insight

The odor threshold for ethanol is 80ppm (0.008%), he would smell it long before it would cause the oil to be runny.

1 Like

The theory we’re running with is that the Celite 545 caused some type of coversion/ph shift and the oil is now not as stable.

What are your thoughts on Celite and CBG?

my bet is on seed oil being in there. good luck getting it out.

5 Likes

We have ran much more heavily seeded material than this before with no issues near this.

Have you experienced seed oil before?

I have. A friend bought some milled seeded material who’s extract looked like that even after distilling.

1 Like

Was it denatured ethanol?

it was.

Not if he has COVID-19

2 Likes

I don’t think Celite 545 would be sufficient enough to significantly change the pH. But I don’t have a lot of experience with it on industrial scale.

1 Like

Negative. winterized in 200proof etoh.

I nearly spit my coffee on this one. Thanks for the laugh but not a statistic yet lol

1 Like

Try winterizing in different solvents. It might kick out some of the other fats.

Take a small bit and try a methanol winterizing and see if that helps.

3 Likes

Do you have a short path? If you can distill it in a 5L sized system you’ll probably learn something about what the contaminant is

2 Likes

I’ve seen crude that looked exactly like this up in Canada. It was milled tricrop and the seed oil was the issue.

We distilled it at proper vac and like 230c, fastest spd run I’ve ever seen, and the COAs came back spectacular

1 Like

Idk, our seed oil codistilled with the cannabinoids, albeit at much higher temps

1 Like

Do you have a list of what was sprayed on the crop?

I’m gonna guess it’s some sort of essential oil sprayed on the crop for pest management.

1 Like

This would be my guess