Etiquette

If you act like @circus_animal you will get banned.

If you harass other users, like he did @beaker you will get banned.

If you are an asshole, fuck off, you’re getting banned.

This is place for positivity and building each other up. If you notice negativity for the sake of being an ass, flag it so the staff (there’s only 2 of us, and really it’s primarily just @sidco) can deal with it

22 Likes

Did the ban also result in a changed delete and edit policy?

I thought the ability to go back and delete a post was a decent thing to have around here.

Yeah, there is a spirit of sharing, but if one over-shares because they over indulged, or just got carried away in the moment, knowing that you could always go back and delete was a nice safety net.

4 Likes

Default was 86400 minutes (60 days), now 2880 minutes (2 days) to edit or delete a post.

Unfortunately the mass deletions resulted in what looked like spam, confusing and broken conversations.

Everything you put on this site and the internet is public and backed up, from live RSS feeds (+1 to our RSS users :)) to my daily backups and live-mirror which will be public soon. This makes it more difficult to ‘take back’ a post when I’m going to provide it for the world X other ways. The older (and more involved) a post is, the bigger the mess post deletion. As of now no major edits happen after 1 day, so 2 days is more than enough and is manageable from this end.

If one really really wanted their name off of the live sites I would be open to changing the author of their posts to ‘anonymous’.

FYI, we have a wiki feature which allows edits for things like SOPs that require modification after 2 days.

I will always make an exception for Personally identifiable information - The public backups will never include IPs or the likes, If you accidentally post a picture with your address in it, I’d dig it out for ya but the internet (see RSS above) still knows.

I’m open if any of this sounds unreasonable.

3 Likes

I guess if the backup strategy involves hacked cellphones strategically placed in airports around the globe, I’ll have to be more careful with that commit button.

good to know my George Foreman gill tek rant went out via RSS.
being able to tone it down a hair was helpful. I panicked when I notice missing edit buttons…

4 Likes

I need to replace it with a second like button so I can :green_heart: that backup strategy another time :money_with_wings:

3 Likes

@Future, @sidco, and other forum members, I am having trouble with the advanced tutorial session… LOL seriously, trying to delete a post and I feel like an idiot but I cannot figure it out? Has this feature been removed or changed. Tried the show more … icon and no trash can? Please help a tech-challenged guy out LOL

2 Likes

Im having trouble with the advanced tutorial too

Confirmed. Delete is no longer an option.

Chose your words as if they will linger…

You can skip steps in the tutorial. Just takes a min or two for @KnowledgeSeth to figure out you’re stuck and offer you that option.

3 Likes

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @KnowledgeSeth display help.

1 Like

@KnowledgeSeth display help

I currently know how to do the following things:

@KnowledgeSeth start {name-of-tutorial}

Starts an interactive tutorial. {name-of-tutorial} can be one of: tutorial, advanced tutorial.

@KnowledgeSeth roll 2d6

:game_die: 3, 6

@KnowledgeSeth quote

:left_speech_bubble: See the positive side, the potential, and make an effort. — Dalai Lama

@KnowledgeSeth fortune

:crystal_ball: You may rely on it

1 Like

@KnowledgeSeth start advanced tutorial

@KnowledgeSeth start tutorial

@KnowledgeSeth display help

@KnowledgeSeth start advanced tutorial

Post removed

yeah we removed the ability to delete posts, since it was causing major confusion. Instead we ask you flag your post for removal. @KnowledgeSeth isn’t aware we changed our settings and I am not about to fork discourse to tell him how we run things around here.

1 Like

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @KnowledgeSeth display help.