Ethanol Thread: Crumble, Budder, & Shatter

Oh shit you’ll be done in no time!! When I whip I prefer 300+ gram whips but I understand this is not the norm for a lot of people on here.

Look for the thick peanut butter! I don’t believe you Can over whip this concentrate.

Post some pictures of your progress!

1 Like

Thank you, I’ll have shatter next week to try this with.

I’ll probably use a small shot glass to mix

1 Like

Melt in an oven for a short time at 176F and then put it on a hot plate and go to town!

Good luck my friend reach out if you need anything else.

1 Like

I don’t even own a hotplate yet lmao.

I use pot of water on stove.

1 Like

Little tip, stoves are hot plates!! I once though about buying a ceramic plate to put on my stove to make a rigged up hot plate. Also purchase a thermometer of some sort to monitor the temp and you have a “hot plate”

I would just becareful about getting water in your material. Concentrates tend to absorb moisture.

2 Likes

I always worry about moisture. I keep it at a low water level, and barely even touch it.
Mostly use distillate n stuff so i heat it that way, and use for edibles mostly, so if water gets in my edible distillate I don’t freak out as I would if it got into vaping distillate or vaping/smoking concentrates

1 Like

I’d like to you to look up the chemical compatibility of limonene, myrcene, and other common terpenes with silicone.

Would you still keep using it knowing it may be leaching?

There’s a reason Oil slicks have fallen heavily out of popularity… apart from keeping your coffee table fresh.

Severe affect

Source: https://www.industrialspec.com/images/files/elastomers-chemical-compatibility-chart-from-ism.pdf

On your other point

a Pyrex I’m afraid that there could be chipping happening while the tool makes contact with the glass and that would end up in our concentrates

I’ve found etching glass to be pretty tough with dab tools. I experimented with scoring glass for crystallization, and found I needed something with a greater hardness to really scratch up the glass.

That said, glass will not be inhaled, chemicals that are leached will be. I can tell you which one I like the idea of less.

Also, more bluntly, I don’t think glass scratching is an issue for any commerical producer using pyrex pans for whipping.

You could also use a PTFE spatula to whip.

7 Likes

Fascinating!

So you’re simply properly processing quality material with ethanol as the solvent and able to make dry crumbles, moist budders, shatters, etc?

In all my days I have never run some quality material through anything besides propane or butane.

So now my question is how is the overall smell of the extracts? I would guess that the ethanol-like aroma overtakes any cannabis smells correct?

Great Thread! :wave:

2 Likes

All the extracts we make are ethanol based. I have been able to make shatter, budder, crumble, and even sauce with ethanol extract.

Honestly once you get the solvent below a certain percent it brings out a totally different smell. We are required by the state to have everything below 5000 ppm or 0.5% so once you go that low you can’t even smell the ethanol. Our extracts typically hover around the 2k ppm mark. Ethanol based extracts do smell quite different than any -tane extracts and I believe that’s because the ethanol is able to extract different terps? Or maybe the co-evaporation of specific terps only leave behind very specific terps in more abundance. All our extracts do have their own specific smells due to the ratios that these terps already exist in the plant.

I have read about esters, aldehydes, and ketones that can cause the plant to give off even more specific smells so maybe ethanol isn’t as good at keeping those around but any -tane is better? It’s been a while since I read up on that stuff so maybe someone else can weigh in better than me.

Hopefully this helps answer your questions!

Well my friend you have given me a lot to think about now and I will start trying to implement more PTFE in our lab as a serious change! I wonder if I could find some PTFE trays for whipping in instead of using a liner on Pyrex? Have you ever seen such a thing?

Either way I really appreciate your input and I hope others read this and find great use from it as well in their cannabis adventures.

Also I know that leeching is a terrible thing at any capacity but I would assume that the relative amounts of these terps would have greater impact on the amount leeched. For example if you dumped 50 grams of D limonene into a silicone tray it would leech much more and much faster than the small amount found in my extract. And if I only used it to whip and dry then transferred to another glass tray with PTFE after it would minimize to amount of time said solvents were in contact with the silicone.

Instead of trying to reduce time why not simply avoid it altogether? As mentioned above it is prefectly safe to whip in glass. You don’t need to reinvent the wheel.

1 Like

Isnt ptfe a type of plastic?

I was taugth plastic and teprenes go so hot togehter, as the plastic absorbes them after a time period? The ocimenes and other supoosed to eat it up?

Or am I thinking about another material… Please elaborate if youd be so kind…

1 Like

Right on I’ll switch to my circular Pyrex dishes. Not a problem just might need a little tweaking to the process is all.

2 Likes

Yea ptfe is inert ish but it’s also made with flourinated shit

See “polymers” subsection

2 Likes

But PTFE only really beaks down under high heat if I’m not mistaken. Google says 350 C. Solvents don’t have the ability to break it down so that flourine should be locked up nice and tight.

I’m trying to think of ways to make a PTFE dish for whipping in. Do you have any ideas? @CuriousChemist22 care to brain storm for fun?

I was thinking some type of metal ring around the top and a silicone bottom lined on either side with PTFE somehow.

1 Like

Here’s one of the first google results for PTFE bowl. I’m sure a good long exploration of the Google rabbit hole could come up with what you’re looking for.

https://www.fishersci.ca/shop/products/fisherbrand-low-tall-form-ptfe-evaporating-dishes-12/02617142

4 Likes

I am the derail king

1 Like