Ethanol reflux still & CDA recipe 35

Hi there! Thank you for making this website and being the brains behind it.

It seems like an ethanol reflux still fell into our company’s lap. Because of market costs, I thought it would be smart to make ethanol for our extractions and sell to interested extractors at a very affordable price. I read a lot of great threads on this site about distilling ethanol and found some really interesting articles on graywolfslayer.

I’ve never made ethanol before, and these are the best shots of the equipment I have right now. If these pictures are useful, I’d like to know what the group thinks about the gear and what we might be missing.

I will take better pictures of the parts as soon as I can get to the equipment. A Colorado extractor custom-made this system for himself. We bought it used from him. It looks like Rainier Distillers sells the same kind of gear.

I’m planning small-scale production of superior ethanol CDA designed for extraction, not 710 solution. I can write more about my plans and what I think may be a better ethanol CDA than 710 and undenatured ethanol if anyone is interested.

4 Likes

…lemme run it till sale do us part…kidding ofc

Never heard of these guys before today. Fucking love em now, pretty simple design while still being copper and saving on costs of the kettle.

Best of luck!

1 Like

Gotta agree with @SpookyDistillation

Great looking gear.
Just not certain on your choice of denaturant.

Do you have extraction efficiency data for 30% ethyl acetate?

Data on reclamation/reproofing after use?

There are reports of problems with CDA 12 re: ternary azeotropes with water.

What know you of these in an ethanol/ethylacetate/water system?

@Photon_noir ?

Edit: looks like one might be able to get back what one started with, with careful distillation…and that there are other ratios one might instead end up with.

Please do…

1 Like

We looked into this years ago and even bought a reflux still to experiment with. We just couldn’t justify the cost at all to produce 200 proof ethanol.

Now, if you can make something more cost effective, that would be interesting. We’re actually planning to sell the still soon since we haven’t used it.

I wonder if you could extract with sonication, separate with decanter centrifuge, filter with membranes - if you could get by with extracting with water or something far cheaper than CDA12?