Ethanol Ratio During Winterization

I know most everyone says the ethanol to oil ratio for winterization is 10:1. Is there any specific reason for this beside maybe that it allows for a less thick slurry when filtering. Does the winterization process do better, work faster with more ethanol?

And what is the actual temperature range you can winterize. -20c seems a litle cold when sunflower and palm oil guys maybe go down to 0c. Other than speeding it up does it create bigger crystals even if I were to extend the time with a lower time.

Thanks

1 Like

10:1 is the safe ratio, none of the variables being known.

I’ve had success between 5:1 - 10:1. Much higher than 10:1 and you might not hit supersaturation/cold crash ability. Lower than 5:1 and it might not flow through the filter.

As for temps, I like to do a room temp crash and filter, then 0c, then take a small sample and chill it to -20c ish, filter, see if the whole batch needs to be done this cold or not

9 Likes

Thanks Future.

Our goal is to winterize large batches in jacketed with slow agitation then put it through a filter press. We want to keep the ratio down to limit the ethanol needed to be recovered so we can have a higher extraction throughput. Our extraction will be equivalent to a 2 or 3 wash concentrate.

1 Like

Reduce the ratio too far, and your cannabinoids start to drop out.

Increase it too far and your fats won’t.

Optimize for your inputs & process.

Probably somewhere between 10:1 and 5:1, but that is based entirely on legend (not data).

Edit: eg the “legend” that just chimed in below…with actual data :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I typically start at 10:1, and work my way down to 5:1 when running trials for big batches. Very consistently, less than 5:1 is not a great idea. I’ve never gone more than 10:1 though

3 Likes

Winterizing BHO crude I’ve always had a happy medium around 7or8:1 when pushing through a filter press. Do you already have the press? Post a pic of the press and I can give you a rec on how to prep it.

1 Like

Don’t have the press yet. We are working throughput numbers to size it right. It will be at least a 800mm size if not more. Our plant is very ambitious in size.

Ah, you’re getting a big boy, that’s a whole different animal. You’ll definitely want some level of automation and a dewatering system for a machine that large.