Ethanol - Post Processing - Shatter/Crumble/Sugar/Sauce

Hey Everyone so I’ve been working with ethanol extracted crude in a vac oven and just playing around with how to produce different materials. Still working out some kinks and trying to develop a more repeatable system of sops. But for now I thought i’d at least share what I have. If ya’ll see ways to improve upon what i’m doing i’d love to hear them.

With shatter I’ve been able to pretty consistently produce a material that is pull and snap but doesn’t actually shatter. It’s stable to the touch but it will fill a container if given enough time. It will lay itself down basically is what I mean. I’m trying to figure out how to produce a more glass like material.

Here is my process for the different consistencies.

Shatter: So right out of the Rotovap it goes into 110F vac oven at 29.5inMG - after 6 hours I pull it out and put it in the freezer until its stable enough to flip it. I would suggest wearing gloves and if you have dry ice pellets or a super cold surface you can cool the underneath part of the Parchment paper to help you flip the slab. After initial flip I keep it at 110F and 29.5 and I flip it every 45-60min. I gauge when to flip based on the reaction occurring in the crude… I.e - if its bubbling like crazy still I leave it. Every 45-60 minutes I flip - so I release vacuum<put the slab in freezer< flip slab< reintroduce to vac oven at 110F< pull 29.5inMG vacuum< rinse and repeat until desired stability is achieved.

Crumble: I don’t have this down 100% - its still more of guess work. But based on the few runs I’ve been able to achieve this consistency its longer times in the oven at the deepest vac I can pull.
Process: Straight out of rotovap to 110F/29.5inMG for 4 hours< pull it out and whip it< reintroduce at 110F/29.5inMG for 12 hours< scoop it up and turn it over<12 more hours 110F/29.5InMG <----- rinse and repeat until its dry

Sugar: So for sugar I accidentally got it lol so i’m not sure what I did. I believe I did the same thing to make shatter. Then instead of pulling it out of the oven I left it in there for 24 hours at a 29.5/110F vac. Pulled it out flipped it left it for 24hours again. I did this 3 days then I accidentally left it out in the open air environment. I think the moisture from the humidity turned it into sugar. Sorry I can’t be more specific.

Sauce/Diamonds: Ok so moreso I have a question here - my ethanol keeps eating up the seals on my freaking mason jars and then I look in the jars and I got a bunch of gum in there. Any suggestions on mason jars to grab that won’t do this. I’m pouring crude into jars then placing them on a 35C temp and releasing pressure at 6 hour intervals. But again - I haven’t got the chance to really go all the way through the process because the gum keeps getting ate up.

2 Likes

Maybe flip the lids over?

1 Like

If I do that then pressure can’t build up inside - no pressure=no nucleation I thought.

I’m not positive, I haven’t grown many crystals or sauce but I think pressure is just a side effect of the process and maybe not necessary.

1 Like

im not sure about thca but with cbd you don’t need pressure to induce nucleation

So then what do you suggest - just turn the lid upside down with it the jar on the hot plate and let it sit for a few weeks?