Ethanol Micro Extractions and Pests that distill off

Hey guys, so this is a bit of a two part/2 question post I wanted to get some feedback on. This is specifically in regards to cannabis and not hemp…obviously a licensed facility.

We bring in trim from a ton of different sources. Ideally it would be one but we have yet to find a single farm that can keep up with us. Like any responsible lab should be doing we are performing mico extractions on everything we bring in before running it. Especially when dealing with a new supplier.

Our actual extraction process is cryo ethanol running at -70 but for the purpose of micros we perform a warm ethanol extraction. I have found that conservatively 70-85% of these extractions fail. The amount of material we turn down is outstanding. I’m not talking about major obviously dirty fails, I’m talking usually right over the line and almost always something different. This is generally from very reputable farms that I know for a fact sell to many licensed operators. For the sake of this post let’s assume any possibility of cross contamination has been eliminated.|

So my first question is basically, is this right? Would you generally agree that so much of the market even from quality operators is failing material once extracted? Is it possible that the warm ethanol micro’s are more polar than what it would be in line? It’s a real head scratcher especially as I get to my second question.

Which is, along the line there’s been times we’ve had to run before results come in. This is in very rare circumstances and only with vendors we have a long standing relationship with. A few times I was surprised to find that the micro came in and did in fact fail while the final distillate came back ND everything. This is obviously due to the fact that the flash points of some of these pests are much higher than cannabinoids so they don’t evaporate and re condense and just fall off in the residue.

Which leads me to the question of, has anyone started putting a detailed list of these pests together that will fall off in distillation? Some absolutely wont but a great many of them will. Would you consider it common practice to “allow” a certain level of these pests knowing that it will fall off and not make it into the final product?

Our goal is obviously to be bringing in ND samples all the way from crude to final product but I have found that to be something of a white whale. At the end of the day in California due to wind carry over and ground contamination there is SOME level of pesticides in pretty much everything

Sometimes markets change and distillate is not the end product. Pass though silica crc in heptane for pests

We run very large volumes. Remediation or extra filtration isn’t really feasible or ideal. For us we just do distillate and that won’t change anytime soon.

Really just more curious if this is common…I understand a few failing loads of trim but I’m not exaggerating when I say 80%+ of batches from great farms fail at a micro level

Because everyone secretly has avid and eagle 20 in veg

4 Likes

80% contaminated sounds like a conservative estimate. Bastards count on being paid out before you find out.

3 Likes

The thing is I have SOPs for all the trim I bring in. Small refundable deposit, 48 hours to run tests before payment. When it fails it gets sent back and my deposit is returned.

These guys just all seem to really not know

1 Like

Stuff does happen. Ive seen people who bought a used dehum or ac that was in a facility using nasty shit, or took in a clone treated with something systemic. Those are usually the trace/barely failed cases. The >LOQ fails are people spraying nasty shit on Their plants in flower.

Edit: who pays for the failed test in your sop?

New source it’s usually on us.

Existing source they pay it and apologize, they don’t wanna mess up the business. We’re good buyers

1 Like

The BCC has to approve all remediation plans for licensed products. Remediation over magsil and silica tends to concentrate bifenathrin and bifenizate but thats all the info I have on that (sp?).

I can’t seem to find my old before and after remediation tests from my website but if I can i’ll post them.

1 Like