Ethanol in michigan

Just a reminder for hemp farmers in Michigan. As a licensed farm in Michigan you are allowed to produce ethanol on your farm for farm use. You’re not allowed to sell it, but you can produce it for use on your own farm. With the current shortage of alcohol in most areas, this seemed like a pertinent reminder.

Water, sugar, corn, and distillers yeast will take about a week to ferment in to a distillers beer. You can also add some hemp to the mix. Filter and put in a clean rotary evaporator. You know how to do the rest.
Safety note: if you taste test to insure potency, make sure to throw out or set aside the heads, they contain some methanol. Also remember that the fermentation process produces co2 so don’t make mash in a sealed container.

3 Likes

@Dr.stanky

If you ever need any terp-shine (still +195 proof) food grade, I have 15-20 gallons to spare.

1 Like

The lack of iso is killing me. Just cleaning the lab and boiling flasks. $66 a gallon in Indiana for the 190 proof everclear. The cheapskate in me is gonna cry if I have to put that in a spray bottle to clean counters😩

1 Like

Shit. I need ethanol And a a roto. @Dr.stanky where you located in Michigan. I’m genesee county

No roto

Theres a 5l on craigslist for 1000

1 Like

I’m on the other side of the state in berrien co.

i’m digging into the laws on manufacturing ethanol on-site for on-site use in Wisconsin. Either nobody has asked about producing 190-200 proof for internal use, or the information is buried. Anyone have insight?

Call department of ag in Wisconsin. In Michigan it’s been in the laws for years. It’s really supposed to be for fuel production, but there’s nothing prohibiting other “farm use” also.